Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!

Oh and congratz on all that power

Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Come on guys? any answers?

Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 AM

ORIGINAL: AzzDawg

Hey guys, I saw you guys had a kinda "bogged down" feeling in the low range and then it picks up and takes off? My 2007 ZX6R does the same, does it have those plates i would be able to remove also? Will it help on my bike? Thanks for the help
Hey AzzDawg,

The guy I take both my bikes to in Costa Mea, has an '05 ZX6 himself and mentioned to me awhile back that he removed his secondary butterfly valves. Now I'm not mechanical in the least (I only ride 'em), so I don't know what advantage this gave him (if any at all).You maywant to contact him directly with some Q & A.Make sure you talk about getting your bike re-mapped, as I'm sure it will be necessary (so plan on a power commander). You can look up the shop's contact info on Yahoo yellow pages.The shop's name is "Mach 1"and its in Costa Mesa, CA. The guy you want to talk to is Jim.

As a side note, I have an '05 ZX6 myself, and I know the little bog your talking about. To be honest, its really not too bad relatively speaking. I've felt worse on other bikes. The bog on the ZX6 is very minimal and disappears quickly after (I don't know, maybe a few thousand RPM's) and from there it's good to go. Whereas, the bogged down feeling we're talking about here on the ZX14 is very noticiable and is present up to 6500+ RPM's and exists in gears 1-4. Anyway, I hope this info helps.

-JA

Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ghost_dog

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

hmm, design. I hate that word.
Do some research and figure out why the "design" is not working for you or others.
The researchhas already been doneand thethe "design" is working out for me just fine and most other ZX-14 owners I've spoken to.

The low torque under 7000 RPM in gears 1-4 are to keep the bike relatively tame off the show room floor. Not too big of a mystery why Kawasaki would choose to do this.

-Ghost_Dog
Good deal. Was fishing for some answers on why the bog? Pc? A kit ecu available for it? What is causing the bog. congrats on your ride. Cam degree help possibly?

Old 09-01-2007, 06:20 PM

As we know, the auxilliary throttle plates (aka butterfly valesor "flysallow the ECU to control the airflow in certain pars of theRPM range,take them out and it is all up to your wrist. Some riders do not re-map or use thepower commanderyet report that the no flysmod works well but no as nice as with a re-mapping. This seems to indicate that theannoying dipin the torque curve is most likelydue to the flys' damping action.Since cams are part of a system, working in concert with intake and exhaust tuning as well as ignition a fuel air maps, valve timingchanges (differnt cam grinds) require other mods to make the expense worth while.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

godzilla, will a kit ecu take the secondaries out of the loop? Like keeping the secondaries wide open lets say?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 PM

The secondaries are "drive by wire" and are controlled by a stepping motor which receives it's signal from the ecu. A reflash, piggy back oraftermarket ecu will all work. The least expensive (in the long run)and most flexible option is the piggy back since you can reprogram it from files that can be sent by email. These files are somewhat generic and can be improved upon for a specific application.. This is usually the domain of the serious racer and not really necessary for street machines.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

crap, I am neither. I just did not see that option of the secondaries in the race ecu.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:22 AM

Don't sweat removing the flies. I was worried it woild make the bike too edgey for the street but it doesn't. I was going to go with The TRE from Ivan but thought I'd give the no flies option a shot first to save the $70. I am using the map from dyno jet and my esperience is the same as thoselaid outin the opening post of this thread. I notice more responsiveness in the 3k area forward and my bike is very controlable. I am am average rider at best but have been on super bikes since I bought my H1 back in 1970.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 PM

I have a zx14 that is brand new. It has 2 bro exhaust on it and that is it. After it is fully broke in can I do this mod or will I definately need a power commander. Any info I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!