Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 AM
Default RE: Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!

Man, I've been slacking... I have to get a copy of my map to `davidhigh` too. I've never personally connected to the power commander myself, so I've been putting it off. I'll do it this weekend... for reals this time. But in your case Spider, you might actually find a map with your muzzy pipes configon the dynojet website. Either way, I'll get it this weekend.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 AM

Don't have to get pressure over this Ghost Dog. If you have it, would be great. I have downloaded a map for my bike with the Muzzy pipe configuration but not for the setup with the secondary throttle plate removed. Having it would get me a head start on tuning it. In any case, if you have a laptop it is very easy to download your map on to your computer. Just download the software that came with your power commander than connect to your power commander and retrieve your map. That's all you have to do.

In the mean time I ordered the damper, fender eliminator and the dry Nos kit from Muzzy. Should be getting them sometimes this week.

Can't wait to have all of those toys installed. That's going to be a crazy ride. I just don't know if I will have the guts to push the NOS button.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM

Hey Spider... Alright, I finally downloaded the map. Sorry for the delay. I guess you're only allowed to upload images on this site and I didn't see your return address in your email. Shoot me another email at allende5@yahoo.com and I'll attach a copy.

If anyone else wants a copy, email me... But please remember this is for:
[ul][*]Stock Exhaust[*]Stock Air Filter[*]Secondary Throttle plates removed[/ul]
Good luck with your 14. Man, I can't beleive you're putting NOS in this beast. Might want to get an extended swingarm before you push that button. Are you planning to taking it to the drag strip?

Let me know how it goes.

-JA

Old 04-07-2007, 06:27 AM

Eh! Ghost Dog,

Been busy with work and did not check the Kawasaki Forum for a while.

I did remove the secondary throttle plates last week and already noticed a big difference in the performance at lower RPM. Getting your map will definitely give me a head start on tuning my bike. I also installed a dry NOS kit from Muzzys. When I am all done with the tuning I will take it to the track and try it out. Definitely a bit nervous about it.

Anyway in the coming up weeks I will put the ZX14 on the dyno to do a final tuning with your Power Commander map. I’ll let you know how it goes and can probably send you the maps that come out of it if you are interested. Even it not the same configuration it is always good to compare.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:25 PM

Hey Spider,

I just sent it to you. Let me know how it works out.

-JA

Old 06-02-2007, 05:21 PM

747...that's the term I was looking for. The ZX14 is an awesome bike!!!

ORIGINAL: ghost_dog

ZETA XI 208,

Yes, all the stock 14's have that bogged down feeling when first taking off. It's by design. Removing the throttle plates (and having your bike remapped) will correct this behavior. If you haven't read it already check out Brock from Brock Performance evaluation of the TRE vs throttle plate removal. It's a good read. Here's a direct link to the .PDF article: http://www.bikeland.org/misc/articles/tretest.pdf

With the mod, the power is available to you almost immediately upon taking off. You WILL wheelie if you gun it too fast!! In fact, when I'm done with this post, I'm going to check out Scott's Performance (now owned by Ohlins) to see if they have a stabilizer yet for the 14. I've been wheeling all over the place lately, it's crazy fun, but scary without a stabilizer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a stunt rider by any means...but it's exhilarating to feel the front end of this 480 lbs beast lift off the ground like a 747 about to leave the runway! I'll try to control myself! =o)

Just know that you must get a power commander and have your bike mapped on the dyno. The power commander will run you anywhere from $275-$350. The price of the dyno run varies, but my shop charges $350.

Perhaps if anyone is interested I can upload my map and save you the cost of the dyno run. I don't know if that would be a good idea or if a custom map would be best.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, design. I hate that word.
Do some research and figure out why the "design" is not working for you or others.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

wow that bike has a lot of power i don't think i need all that bike under me. maybe down the road i'll have the 10r but that will be a while.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

hmm, design. I hate that word.
Do some research and figure out why the "design" is not working for you or others.
The researchhas already been doneand thethe "design" is working out for me just fine and most other ZX-14 owners I've spoken to.

The low torque under 7000 RPM in gears 1-4 are to keep the bike relatively tame off the show room floor. Not too big of a mystery why Kawasaki would choose to do this.

-Ghost_Dog

Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I saw you guys had a kinda "bogged down" feeling in the low range and then it picks up and takes off? My 2007 ZX6R does the same, does it have those plates i would be able to remove also? Will it help on my bike? Thanks for the help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!