Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Default Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!

I wanted to release that low to midrange torque that we all know the 14 is capable of, but I was really hesitant about whether I wanted to go so far as to remove these plates. The TRE I thought was OK, but I really like my gear indicator the way it is. Reading Brocks evaluation of the TRE vs. removing the secondary throttle plates, made me ask myself if I was ready to risk losing my 14's smooth but deliberate acceleration. For as much of a beast as the 14 is, it's surprisingly a very unintimidating ride. I thought that perhaps releasing all that low end torque would destroy this fine balance.

Well, I just picked up my bike last night after an all day session of being re-mapped on the dyno. My bike is stock. Stock air filter, stock exhaust, though I already had the power commander installed with a stock mapping. I dd a prelimary dyno run in the summer before the power commander was installed and scored 166hp at 100ft-lbs of torqe. After removing the throttle plates and having it tuned on the dyno, the result was easily a 25ft-lbs of torque increase at around 3200 RPM. Awesome! But this I already knew would happen going in. What surprised me was the overall increase in both hp an torque. It dyno'd at 177hp and 107ft-lbs!! Wow! I was NOT expecting that!

The ride? The ride is incredible...it's insane... mind you I'm NOT a drag racer, so for me, this was the most powerful bike I have ever ridden. But unlike what I thought may happen, I don't feel that I lost a bit of rideability in my bike. The acceleration is still very smooth, deliberate and still predictable. The main difference is, is that the huge boost in torque you would normally feel about about 6000-7000 RPM's now happens at around 3500 RPM's. The power is still distributed evenly and the bike has very much so retained it's rideability. However, it is no longer an unintimidating bike by any means! You must be very gentle with the throttle and excercise a lot of control. Otherwise, she will wheelie on you very easily in first, second and perhaps even third gear!

I'm 240lbs, so my experience will likely be much different if you're a lean 160 pounder. I also have a stock exhaust and filter. With full exhausts and other mods, I've heard of some 14's reaching the 190+ range in horsepower.... so at 177hp, my experience will be much less intense as guys with those kinds of mods.

I'll post my dyno run in just a bit once I get it scanned.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Default RE: Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!

Here's the chart...

[IMG]local://upfiles/1874/03E8DEDA727B4AFDB51F8BA154324CC4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats. Yes that is a common mod that you researched. I am trying to mentally think what 107 ft lbs of tq would feel like on two wheels! hahaha

Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

1+, No kidding!

I do know what 18 ft-lbs of torque feels like on my 250! FAST!!!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 PM

Congrats on the bike! I have just crossed the 450mi mark on the OD of my 14. My bike seems to bogg down in 1st on take off and then quickly recover and fly. Did your 14 do the same thing? Did this mod help?

ZETA XI 208

Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM

ZETA XI 208,

Yes, all the stock 14's have that bogged down feeling when first taking off. It's by design. Removing the throttle plates (and having your bike remapped) will correct this behavior. If you haven't read it already check out Brock from Brock Performance evaluation of the TRE vs throttle plate removal. It's a good read. Here's a direct link to the .PDF article: http://www.bikeland.org/misc/articles/tretest.pdf

With the mod, the power is available to you almost immediately upon taking off. You WILL wheelie if you gun it too fast!! In fact, when I'm done with this post, I'm going to check out Scott's Performance (now owned by Ohlins) to see if they have a stabilizer yet for the 14. I've been wheeling all over the place lately, it's crazy fun, but scary without a stabilizer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a stunt rider by any means...but it's exhilarating to feel the front end of this 480 lbs beast lift off the ground like a 747 about to leave the runway! I'll try to control myself! =o)

Just know that you must get a power commander and have your bike mapped on the dyno. The power commander will run you anywhere from $275-$350. The price of the dyno run varies, but my shop charges $350.

Perhaps if anyone is interested I can upload my map and save you the cost of the dyno run. I don't know if that would be a good idea or if a custom map would be best.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

haha your bike has 177 hp, and mine has 20 hp....lol.... 14 are crazy....

Old 12-21-2006, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey ya'll, One of my co-workers just bought a ZX14 recently and has installed a Muzzy and removed the secondary plates also. He say's the power in the bottom and midrange is unbelievable! I asked him to join us and maybe he'll be on here.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ghost_dog, your bike has more torque than my bike has horsepower; INSANE!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Eh! "Ghost_dog"I am intersted to get the map on your power commander. Can you email it to me? That will give a good start in tuning my ZX-14.

I have already installed carbon fiber Muzzy pipes and the Power Commander. After reading your commenton performance afterremoving the secondary throttle plate I will definately do that mod.

Quick Reply: Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!