Kawasaki won't honor your warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Angry Kawasaki won't honor your warranty

On 4/2/201, I picked up my new 2012 ZX14r from East Bay Motorsports in Hayward, California.On 9/4/2012, during my morning commute the engine lost about 70% power output and was making a progressively loud ticking and then clunking sound. For safety, I exited the freeway and had the bike towed to Eastbay.

They found a blown connecting rod bearing. They informed me that Kawasaki is concerned that there is no service history available and it has a “WIX” oil filter.

Kawasaki refuses to cover the repair under warranty. I verified this with Kawasaki (949.460.5688).

I don't do stunts, burn outs, track days or any extreme riding. The bike only has about 8700 miles on it. It's original tires still have legal tread. The brakes show no signs of warping, premature wear or discoloration indicating excessive heat from hard braking. The oil or temperature lights never came on. I use my bike as a daily commuter and maintain it well.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I was told by my salesman Kawasaki wouldn't honor the warranty if i used a non-OEM oil filter. Didn't your dealer tell you the same thing?

If your not getting anywhere with them try filing a complaint with the BBB.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 10-09-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I was told by my salesman Kawasaki wouldn't honor the warranty if i used a non-OEM oil filter. Didn't your dealer tell you the same thing?

If your not getting anywhere with them try filing a complaint with the BBB.

wow, I was not told by my dealer as well. Although I have only bought 3 new kawi's in the past, I was not aware of the aftermarket oil filter voiding warranty. Normally it involves aftermarket exhausts and tuners that will void warranties.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That's a bunch of crap! What it all boils down to is if you have a good dealer that won't tell Kawi that you used aftermarket stuff. And besides there is a law that allows us to not only do our own maintenance but it also lets us use industry standard parts. Sounds like a letter from an attorney is in order. Stinking weasels!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

All Companys will try and NOT live-up to a Warranty...they are seeing how WEAK you are...
You need to fight fight...It may take some time...Hopeing you will get it fixed and go away.
Stay on it and THEY WILL...fix it...we have all been there...GL

Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ask them if they're aware of the Magnuson-Ferguson act. (Do a Google.) It expressly states using non-OE consumables will not void a warranty. Call WIX. They are a solid company with a solid reputation, and tell them what happened.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by one81busa
On 4/2/201, I picked up my new 2012 ZX14r from East Bay Motorsports in Hayward, California.On 9/4/2012, during my morning commute the engine lost about 70% power output and was making a progressively loud ticking and then clunking sound. For safety, I exited the freeway and had the bike towed to Eastbay.

They found a blown connecting rod bearing. They informed me that Kawasaki is concerned that there is no service history available and it has a “WIX” oil filter.

Kawasaki refuses to cover the repair under warranty. I verified this with Kawasaki (949.460.5688).

I don't do stunts, burn outs, track days or any extreme riding. The bike only has about 8700 miles on it. It's original tires still have legal tread. The brakes show no signs of warping, premature wear or discoloration indicating excessive heat from hard braking. The oil or temperature lights never came on. I use my bike as a daily commuter and maintain it well.

First off, a "blown" connecting rod bearing? That is not a legitimate diagnosis. What happened with the connecting rod bearing? Why? If it was an oil related failure I'm betting some other bearings should show damage.

I think you have a dealership that won't go to bat for you. I also think a visit to an attorney to learn what could be done might be in order. Take what you learned here and get with an attorney who is an actual motorcycle or automobile enthusiast who will take the thing seriously. A simple letter may just prompt action. After about 20 years around a dealership working full and part time, I tend to think more could be accomplished.