First freeway incident.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default First freeway incident.

I was on the freeway today doing 90mph when suddenly my '06 ex500 just dies.

I was like 'what the eff???' and then 'oh shizzt there's a truck behind me!!'.

Pop my hazard lights ("oh wait, I dont have any"). So, I turn on the left turn signal as I pull over to the left shoulder. Double check my gauges/idiot lights (which is so few). Oil light was ON and that's it. Trip meter was at 134. I always reset my trip meter whenever I fill up and i'm looking at it and shaking my head, "can't be out of fuel".

So I look at the Oil light again. "Maybe I'm out of oil?? I just did an oil change yesterday and maybe I didnt tighten something." "Still full, good."

I was out of ideas and all I could think of was how am I gonna get home? I didnt bring my cell phone, the call box is on the other side (on the right shoulder). "Hhmmm.. I wonder what these cagers are thinking as they pass me by?" "Helloo!! someone pull over and help me out?"

I put the fuel **** on reserve anyway and try to start it back up.

"Damn, I think I ef-ed something up." Won't even turn over. "Gotta be the batteries then? But this is brand new. Only 350miles. Man this sucks." "Maybe that hard break in wasnt such a good idea."

I dont even remember what It was that I did, but I just kept fiddling with pretty much what could be fiddled with. I mounted the bike, and it started to turn over. Wouldnt start yet, but at least now i know the battery is good. After a minute or so, it started back up.

"Huzzah!!" and now, "To the gas station!" If only these cars would slow down for me to enter the freeway.

On the way to the gas station I was trying to do some "'rithmetiK" in my head.

"134mi divided by 4 gal..man.. that's = 'my fuel economy is really shiety'"

At the gas station, I fill up and the pump stops at 1.9 gallons. "huh???" I pump again, and it stops right away.

Am I filling up correctly??? Anyway, I'm glad it was just the fuel running out. And 134mi / 1.9 gal = happy camper.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First freeway incident.

good thing nothing happened!!!

so if the tank on the 500 is about 4.8 galons, should you at least get about 250 or so miles on the tank???

Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 AM
WAX

I had this happen with my 2006 500R. Fortunately, I was at a light. Idle was fine...when the light turned green...gave it a little gas...rode for about 20 yards...engine died. I pulled over and the bike wouldn't start. It seemed like the engine was flooded. I checked the choke, which was turned off. The tank was 3/4 full. I was clueless. After a couple of minutes the bike started up and ran fine. The engine has run fine since. Maybe someone in this forum who has had this problem will enlighten both of us.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

maybe one of you should start another thread asking about it.....
both of you have the 06, wonder if that's the year or does it happen to others..... def. a good question to have answered!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:04 AM

I haven't had any problems in traffic (luckily). But maybe this can shed some light.
I once tried to pull out of a parking spot, but the bike would die everytime I tried to
go. I was like....WTF???? I'm looking around the bike for leaks, etc. But then I noticeed
my kickstand was down. I put my kickstand up, and away I went. I'm new to street bikes
so maybe this is a built-in safety feature.

Also, I notice that I can have my bike idling (warming up) for a ride for well over 5 min without
the choke on. I get on, put her in first gear and she shuts down. (clutch in of course). Happened
again today. I kept it in first, clutch in, and started her up. Reved a few times and pulled it in
front of the house for a trip to work.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the kickstand thing is a safety feature...........just imagine what could happen when turning left with the kickstand down!

I get 400 kilometres per tank of gas (about 249 miles). I have never had a problem with my bike quitting, well except for that one time that I forgot to turn the fuel on [sm=oopssign.gif]

As for your oil light coming on - with my bike, that comes on whenever I shut my bike off. So that was probably all that was.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:34 PM

Hey bro, if I were you I wouldn't just "shake" off this incident. Do you really want to ride around thinking that at any moment you may have a problem?? Yikes!

I think they have a mandatory first service where they "tighten" things up and check things out. I wouldn't wait though. Take it in and get it looked at. If they can't find anything wrong, take it to another shop.

It's scary enough riding in a cageless vehicle as is. Do you really want to ride a bike that may konk out whilst going at 80+?

Stay safe.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:29 AM

ORIGINAL: kali_ninja500

good thing nothing happened!!!

so if the tank on the 500 is about 4.8 galons, should you at least get about 250 or so miles on the tank???
damn, i get like 160-80 on a tank. wtf is wrong with that?

Old 09-20-2006, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

could it be the way you ride, or do most city riding.... others i know have been doing city/freeway so maybe is the reason why they get more....

Old 09-21-2006, 08:32 PM

i ride normal, sometimes i ride in city, sometimes on highway/freeway, there has never been one time wher ei have got over 170-180 a tank. i have a muzzy exhaust and no jet kit/high flow air filter, but i wouldn't think it would hurt gas that damn much.

Quick Reply: First freeway incident.