1990 Ninja EX-500 (Project)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Default 1990 Ninja EX-500 (Project)

Hello all,

First off I'd like to say hello, I am new here to these forums but have been on many vehicle forums and offer help, parts, advice, ect. when I can. I have recently acquired a 1990 Ninja EX that is in less than acceptable shape, but I only paid $360 for it so I am hoping I can maybe get it running.

Things I know that are wrong (mechanically speaking):
•No battery
•Broken Flywheel (according to previous owner)
•Half of key broken off in the ignition

I am trying to find a source for parts and I've rummaged on a few sites looking for a flywheel. I assume I can get the part and change it out if I can find one. I was told the bike only needed an oil change, and a new flywheel and that it would run and be ridable (as per a diagnostic sheet from the previous owner's mechanic)

I don't really know what to do about the key, I have the other half but I don't think I could get the ignition to turn. I don't know if there is any way to pop these out or get the broken piece out without calling a locksmith. And I assume I can visit Auto Zone or O'reilly's or something similar and pick up a battery and see if the dash lights up.

So if anyone has any advice I will appreciate it, I have never owned or ridden a bike. I am just trying to feel accomplished with some mechanical work on something.
Also how much should a battery cost at the average parts store?

I will post more pictures later if anyone is interested in seeing anything specifically.

Thank you,
-Brydon

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Ninja EX-500 (Project)-img_0536.jpg   1990 Ninja EX-500 (Project)-img_8402.jpg   1990 Ninja EX-500 (Project)-img_8631.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Did it get a rattle-can job? Why some green in pics 1 & 3, all black in #2.

How does a flywheel break? I've never heard of that. Perhaps broken when doing some work on the bike?

I think I'd go to a locksmith for the key, or get some picking tools and see if you can work the key out. I bet there's some you tube videos for that.

A battery is probably around $70 +/- $20.

Good luck with the project.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the reply,

It appears that somebody before me plasti-dipped the bike. The pictures where it has some green on it were sent by the owner, and were pre-dip job. As for the flywheel being broken I assume your guess is as good as mine, I really don't have much of a clue about these things. I supposed somebody messed it up then, if it's not a part than often wears down...
I will see about getting the other part of the key out myself, if not I will call a lock smith. Just don't want to be charged out the wazoo for it. I guess we will see what we have going on better when I get a battery on it.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Google "Broken Ninja Flywheel" and you'll find some stuff. Don't know if it pertains to your case. First ones I've seen discussed broken magnets, which I can envision. I can also see someone trying to pull it without proper tools and technique and buggering things up. ebay may have some parts.

Get a good strong magnet to help work the key out, or so I've heard.

Plasti dip? Really? That's too bad. I liked the green. Oh well. First bike may as well have some flair.

Oh, and welcome to KF.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 05-01-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM

I am not quite sure what I am looking at here, if this is of any use let me know! (attachment below)

And I did like the other paint scheme much better than this flat-black, blunderingly stupid spray job. If things ever get in order with this, cosmetics will come later down the road.

Thanks for all the responses already, I really appreciate it.

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Ninja EX-500 (Project)-img_0458.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know enough to say much on that one. However, I'm guessing one of our experts will be along soon.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

My understanding is that the first gen 500 flywheel magnet failures. As mentioned, you can update the flywheel assembly to the newer gen flywheels. Hit up EX500.com, there are some good reads in there concerning this.

Welcome to KF and good luck with the EX500. I love mine for everyday use and then some.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:54 PM

So far I only have a small update to offer, nonetheless I did manage to get the other portion of the key out last night. I sprayed some WD-40 down there, then basically made a hook out of old beard trimming scissors. It fit down there perfectly and I was able to grab one of the notches on the key and slowly pull it out of the cylinder.

Also I have been searching for that flywheel so that I can replace it, I've signed up for a few of those "parts hunting" sites where you tell them what you want/need and they send it out. So far I have only received one email from OZ Powersports, Ottawa, KS and they say they want $295 for the part. That seems like a lot for that part to me! Check it out: Used Motorcycle Parts - LIVE search of Motorcycle Salvage Yards

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Ninja EX-500 (Project)-img_6050.jpg  

Last edited by BrydonJ; 05-02-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added photo