Ninja 250 clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ninja 250 clutch question

I'm going to look at a Ninja 250 on Saturday that has a clutch problem.The owner says that it got harder and harder to shift until one day it wouldn't shift at all (clutch won't disengage).Is there a common problem with the clutch on these?The bike has low miles and is in really good shape (judging by the pictures).I forget what year it is,'03 maybe.Years ago I had an old DT400 that had the same problem.Turned out the screw that held the clutch basket together came out.A little lock tite and it was fixed.I guess my question is,should I buy it?Or not?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Default RE: Ninja 250 clutch question

I would have it looked at by a tech. If its a good buy then I say go for it. It ight turn out to be something really small.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 AM

I havent heard of any having clutch issues so I would be concerned. Could be the owner is just an idiot but you never know. Did they ever check the oil or change it and what oil were they using. Did they mis adjust the lever?

I will mention that I paid $1500 for my '03 last year with 8K. You need to price out the cost of parts to replace the tranny and clutch and deduct from the book value which I think is around $1800. If they arent happy with that then they can take it to a dealer and get an estimate, you dont want to take a chance of the repair being really expensive.

You can get the parts diagram and general pricing on www.ronayers.comif you arent going to do the repair yourself then you really need to get an estimate from the shop.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I think I can handle any repair needed.I am an ASE certified auto technician and I've done all kinds of motorcycle repair including tearing engines down for tranny work.I just thought I'd ask if there was any common problems that I should look for.You know,like maybe a common very expensive problem.I'll go look at it.I've seen pics and it looks mint.It supposedly only has a few thousand miles on it.I'll use my best judgment I guess.He wants $1500.00 but I'll try to talk him down to $1200.00 or so.I fugure I could probably part it out for that if it is trashed.Of course it could turn the guys an idiot and it is a minor problem (cross fingers now).Thanks guys.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm good luck on the decision.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:16 AM

I will take the fron fairing if you part it out and the price is right. Good luck with the bike. It should shift from neutral to 1st with the engine off. Neutral finder won't let it get to second if the motor isn't running

Old 05-19-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like it just needs to be adjusted at the cable by the clutch, not at the lever.

When the guy says it became harder and harder to shift through the gears, that's a tell-tale sign of a clutch with no free-play.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

maybe the cable is sticking. you could try lubing the cable. but i'm not sure on what else it might be it's just and idea it might be sticking not allowing the cluch to disengage.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I keep thinking about what it could be.I was supposed to go look at it today but when I called the guy he said he forgot the keys at his parents house.I'm supposed to go look at it tomorrow now.One more excuse and I'll just go buy a runner/rider.He emailed me some pics and the thing looks mint.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's one pic

Quick Reply: Ninja 250 clutch question