09 250r clutch is not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 AM
Default 09 250r clutch is not working

hello my name is Vega,

I just got my 2009 250r last month out here in California, My first incident was at 200 miles I was riding on the street and I wanted to down shift and I could not fill the gear leaver. I pull over and notice that my gear leaver had fallen from the normal position the gear lever was all the way down. I called the dealer and they said you need to bring it in so I towed it over there. all they do is put it back in and screw it on that was it your good to go they say.

A few more miles later I noticed that when I was riding on first gear it will just pop in to neutral. also if I was on second gear it would pop in to neutral. this all started after the authorized dealer did my 600 mile inspection and oil change. by the way they charged me $240.00 for this.

At 950 miles I noticed that as I was taking off from first gear the bike was very slow, second gear my RPM's were very high and I'm not going fast I'm going no were. so I dropped it off at the dealer and they said your ok your clutch was lose I fixed it so I was happy that it wasn't anything big I love this bike. I drive away and 40 miles later I have to get towed back the same thing happened. so I dropped it off again overnight this time the dealer calls me back and says to me Sr. you need a new clutch and you need to change you're oil.

I just change my oil at 600 miles, I know that I'm not riding this bike hard I'm very gentle with it. I fly aircraft I never broke one lol. is anyone experiencing this things? is this common for a new ninja 250r? I love this bike and I cant ride it.

Vega, E

Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow, tough to hear of your local shops decisions. You are getting stymied my friend from the lack of customer service and of the initial call of the loose shifter which if installed correctly on setup, would not happen (well maybe 1% chance of it falling off if that). I do think that from the sounds of it, your clutch is in need of help now. However, I think you got stroked and had better let them or some other shop take this under a warranty if possible. Good luck and welcome to KF.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds to me like you're dealer is pretty useless. I have the same bike and I've had no problems at all with it. I hate dealers and I avoid them like the plague. I've heard too many stories like yours. I just go there for parts cause I like using original parts.

When it came time for it's first oil change, I called my local dealer just to see what the price was and they told me the same.... $240. I thought that was a little rediculous just to do an oil change and check a few things so I did it myself. It was very easy. It cost me about $25 for oil and a Kawasaki filter.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 PM

I think so, after hanging out at the dealer you talk to all the people having problems and I'm starting to think that it's the dealer. I only go to the dealer because of the paperwork I'm in aviation and I love doing paperwork to keep a history but your right I need to change dealers. Long Beach Motor Sports is not working out. thanks for your reply's

Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Shifting problems

Even on my 2006, which I bought new, I sometimes experienced the bike dropping to neutral. This was operator error for me since I was attempting to shift too fast and not fully putting it in gear.

I am not saying this is your issue, you clearly have dealer problems, I am just offering some insight on one of your issues.

I have never personally changed my clutch, but it does not look too hard to get to. If you are ever gonna be towing it by San Jose, let me know. I can take a look at it for you.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

i would find a new kawi dealer