New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Was up yall

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Was up yall

Im malcolm living in NC I just got a 95 6r about a month and a half ago on CL with about 32k on it. Its my first bike. Just love to ride ever since before my msf class! (Continue on only if you want more of the story)

I was enjoying it a lot till I was riding not to long ago and it cut out at a red light and when I just stopped in the driveway and not wanting to start again and I had to get it rolling and pop the clutch. Anyway I knew I needed to change the oil and I'm SURE the carbs havent been cleaned and vavles havnt been adjusted if for the first 15k not the 30k LOL and I found a bolt with the number 9 on the head (if anyone knows where i could be from i would appreciate it cuz i cant find it). So im in the process of checking the air filter spark plugs carbs all that good stuff got a manual too. Not going to have the $$$ for the carb cleaning so i'm goin to see if some seafoam will get me by for a while. Anyway thats my story sorry for the novel... see yall around .

Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Malcom, welcome to the forums. Glad to hear you like your 6R.
Lots of questions: Um, about that bolt, how big (diameter, length) is it? Have you changed any of the items (filter, oil, plugs, etc.) since you got the bike? Before you invest in seafoam, go through the bike, change the oil, filter, plugs, and bring the general maintenance items up to spec. This will give you a "reference point" to determine what needs to happen next. The carbs may not need to be cleaned if the bike is responding well under throttle.
Let us know how/if the maintenance changes things, and about that bolt.
Glad to have you aboard. Gear up; stay safe.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Reference points/base line as mentioned is a proven aide in knowing where you are at and where you need to continue from there. Carb cleaning is normally zero dollars unless you tear a gasket, etc. (just part of my baseline procedures on an unknown ride.)

Good luck and welcome to KF

Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Malcom, welcome to the forums. Glad to hear you like your 6R.
Lots of questions: Um, about that bolt, how big (diameter, length) is it? Have you changed any of the items (filter, oil, plugs, etc.) since you got the bike? Before you invest in seafoam, go through the bike, change the oil, filter, plugs, and bring the general maintenance items up to spec. This will give you a "reference point" to determine what needs to happen next. The carbs may not need to be cleaned if the bike is responding well under throttle.
Let us know how/if the maintenance changes things, and about that bolt.
Glad to have you aboard. Gear up; stay safe.
I say the bolt is no more than a 1" long about 1/4" diameter about the other stuff I just broke the bike down today cuz I finally got a gas can to drain the tank and there were no fuel filter no fuel pump no air filter and I'm not sure what the plugs look like yet lol I stopped after seeing all of this. O yeah no petcock it has a 2to1 valve for both the reserve and on tube and that goes straight to the engine. I know the carbs are gravity fed but shouldn't I still have a fuel pump??? This could have been causing the cutting out

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Reference points/base line as mentioned is a proven aide in knowing where you are at and where you need to continue from there. Carb cleaning is normally zero dollars unless you tear a gasket, etc. (just part of my baseline procedures on an unknown ride.)

Good luck and welcome to KF
Yeah I'm thinking about trying the carb cleaning myself. I saw a nice write-up on it with pics on the net but like you both said I'm goin to change the air filter no put in an air filter lol and change the plugs and oil and see how it does then go from there

If someone could comment on whether I should put on a fuel pump since the previous user removed it and its a carbuertated bike I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If someone could comment on whether I should put on a fuel pump since the previous user removed it and its a carbuertated bike I would really appreciate it.
hahaha, so why take off a fuel pump? All of those rides running carbs need a fuel pump. My 1990 ZX7 runs a fuel pump. I am not understanding that logic of removing the fuel pump since it is carbed.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
hahaha, so why take off a fuel pump? All of those rides running carbs need a fuel pump. My 1990 ZX7 runs a fuel pump. I am not understanding that logic of removing the fuel pump since it is carbed.
lol yeah you sound like what I was saying to myself when I saw this its carbed all the reason why it should have a fuel pump... might be whats causing my stalling and stuff but who knows... i'm going to get one tho

Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Hello! Welcome to the forum.Its good to meet you.I hope you are enjoying your stay here.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by liam45
Hello! Welcome to the forum.Its good to meet you.I hope you are enjoying your stay here.
Thanks. Yeah I like this forum learning a bunch and a lot of helpful ppl here! Just trying to figure out if this bike was really a POS made to run just to sell with no fuel pump fuel filter or air filter... but the engine seems to be good and the tranny too so I cant to much complain lol

Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the nut house. lol