New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Possible new Ninja 1000 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Default Possible new Ninja 1000 owner

I am a long time rider (have owned at LEAST one bike constantly since 1981 (usually more like two or three)). My main scoot is currently a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, which I absolutely love. I have it set up as more of a sport tourer (luggage, bigger windscreen, handlebar risers, etc).

Recently, I took in a 2004 HD Lowrider (FXDL) on trade (with less than 1000 miles!) for a classic muscle car I just let go. I was originally trying to sell the car, but had no takers...but there were plenty of trade offers.

I'm not really much of a Harley guy...I originally had my eye on this Triumph Thruxton, but have yet to be able to sell the Harley to finance the purchase. Lots of tasty upgrades and would make a fun second bike (and I've always wanted a new/classic Triumph).

I have had little activity on my sale of the Harley...however, I have had several trade offers (which is how I got the Harley in the first place!).

My best offer to date is a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 with only 400 miles. (middle-aged guy who thought it would make a great sport tourer for him...and didn't like it. It has sat in his garage since early summer.) Might be something I'd like to keep. But, if not, I wonder if I am trading up from a value stand point. (the HD will likely keep its value longer...but if I want to get the Thruxton, I likely will not have either the HD or the Ninja long)

I'm sure everyone here is going to say (or at least THINK), "get the Ninja and dump that POS Harley". I'm not a motorcycle bigot and enjoy all types, brands, etc. That being said, I've owned a LOT of Kawasakis and do love them. My ZRX is my baby and I don't know if I'd ever sell it. That is why this decision is hard. The Ninja 1000 would duplicate the features/functionality of my ZRX (albeit, a significant upgrade).

The one thing I really like about the lowrider is how low it is. There are some challenges for me in regards to manipulating the ZRX around with my short inseam (29" on a good day). I manage just fine, and would manage just fine with the Ninja as well...it is just nice to have a bike where I don't have to compensate.

That being said, once the bike is in motion, I would enjoy the Ninja (or a Thruxton) quite a bit more I think. (even though I do enjoy lumbering along on the Harley)

Anyways, I would enjoy hearing from you (even though I fully expect your opinion to be biased).

I would especially like to hear from folks who have 2 or more bikes (and RIDE them all).

Since I am telling my story in pictures...might as well throw up a pic of my kids' bike.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

DUDE! Nice collection there. All you need to do is add one of these. hehehe Oh and welcome to the forums.

Name:  91e8fba5.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  148.0 KB

Old 01-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, keep the zrx. That will be my next ride to add here. As mentioned, nice collection.

Welcome to KF and lets talk more shop! lol