New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Old Noob

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Old Noob

Greetings race fans...

By "Old Noob" I mean that I used to have a couple bikes some years ago and got rid of them when things got tough... eh - schtuff happens.

Anyhow - recently the bug has bit again, and I have this burning need to get back on 2 wheels...

History:

In early 93 I bought a used 92 ZX6-D from Zambon's Kawasaki in Marquette Michigan. Loved it so much I went to work for them in parts & sales. Racked up 600 to 800 miles a week going back and forth to work, riding at lunch, riding after, riding weekends with the sportbike riders from KI Sawyer AFB.

One sunny day work was slow (everyone was riding), so I pushed some of the new bikes out into the parking lot to get people's attention. One of them was a wine-red 93 ZX-7. It was always passed over while in the showroom - flourescent lighting did it no justice. Everyone wanted the racing colors in the 6 or the 7... Scott Russel was the rave & tearing up both AMA and world circuits on his 7.

Anyhow - I pushed this thing out into the sun - this was the year it had the black frame/wheels - took a few steps back and fell in love. I walked into the store and told the owner I wanted to trade in the 6 and get the 7. I drove it home that night.

That bike was built for me - or so it seemed. Beautifully balanced, perfect fit, responded to my thoughts, solid and predictable. I had been thinking about a 750 for some time, and had ridden others - including the GSXR - which was a close 2nd... even the Honda 900RR and the F2-600, which I didn't like at all. Not to mention it was absolutely stunning in the sunlight with the deep red hues in the shape of the body... Most of the guys I rode with were jealous when I rolled up on that for the first time - all of them quite shocked at how gorgeous it was. Everyone else had racing stripes, flashy graphics, etc - and here I am with a solid color bike - and an uncommon color at that. Really loved this bike... 800 to 1000 a week... even rode it in the rain and even after it snowed, so long as the roads were clear. I didn't care - I just wanted to ride. Muzzy pipe, RK Gold chain, splitfire plugs, Sportmax2 oversize (190?) rear...

The following spring the air force base announced it's closure, the sportbikers started to leave, I lost my job and consequently my income. I had an opportunity to go to college (I hadn't gone previously) but had to give up the bike to make it happen. Sold it in late 94.

I have thought about getting back into bikes over the years, but never really managed to do it. Real Life kept getting in the way. Well... a few weeks ago the bug bit again... I managed to make contact with an old riding buddy who was stationed at the air force base and we got to talking about old times. I miss the bike. I miss the feeling of the bike and of riding. I am married now and my wife is a hottie, so I know she would look stunning if she were decked out in riding gear and on a bike. She is scared though and I need to get her on a bike so she can relax and enjoy, and hopefully - eventually - learn how to ride.

I am seeking the bike though... as far as I am concerned, that bike was built for me. I'm not interested in a new bike, or a different model, bla bla... I am seeking a 1993 ZX-7 in wine red and black (why people have chosen to polish this frame I will NEVER understand!). I don't necessarily want all kinds of mods and holes cut into the fairings, etc... I can do what few things I want/need myself. Needs to be in good condition. If I cannot find the red 93, I would be interested in other colors, 93 through 95. That bike was perfect, and it is what I can still remember and feel... so that is what I want. I am in Chicagoland and can travel for the right bike.

Totalled/salvaged/heavily damaged&repaired bikes need not apply. VINs will be run against insurance , carfax and K-share.

In the mean time - I need to find a zx7 I can take the wife out on for an hour in Chicago suburbs/southeast Wisconsin. Anyone interested? Will rent/dinner - whatever. Just need to get the wife hooked.

Thanks all.. keep it safe, shiny side up.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Old Noob

Welcome to the forums srobak! Very glad to hear that you are back into bike's after all these years! I wish you luck in finding the bike that you want, I will keep my eyes peeled for one. How far are you willing to travel for the right one?

Old 08-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

First of all - sweet looking bike!!!! I didn't see the pic until after I posted my reply.

There was one listed on this site for sale - here is the link https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_945/tm.htm

There is also a 1999 for sale https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_2931/tm.htm

Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

If I can get there by plane, then I will travel. US-48, as I think there might be some issues in getting a Canadian bike into the US... although if memory serves - that is the same year the CA/UK model was released with an electric blue paint job on a black frame... so who knows? hehehe... no - I *love* the red. If I end up with a different color then it's first winter it is going into the paint shop. I will get the paint from Kawa - or else new pre-ptained & decaled panels if they are still available, and have the frame and wheels done and get the decals from Kawa as well.

You don't understand how in love with this bike and it's look I was/am. My Lincoln Continental is the same color... has the same effects when the sun hits it.

The first listing looks a little quirky to me... no keys, no title, had a cop check it, etc... I dunno. If it smells like a fish...

Thanks for the links though... but I am really dead set on a 93... or 93 to 95 if I can't find THE 93. I just can't explain... I rode 20 different models of bikes in the early 90s, and THIS was the one. Someone built this bike for me.

Thanks for the welcome, bluebird... appreciate it. I hope the planets and stars line up some time this year and I find the ride and get the wife into it as well. It will be a hard sell though - she rode with a cousin of hers when she was younger, and he scared the hell out of her... so getting her to trust me there is kinda hard - even though I *taught* females how to ride & drive back in the day as well. Strange world.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

If I see any kicking around I'll let you know - mind you I am in Canada. I'm sure that your wife will eventually fall in love with riding! I went out once on the back of a friends bike and fell in love and had to buy my own! I bought a 94 Ninja 500 last December and got my license this past May. I love it!

I am sure that you will someday have your dream bike! Until then, don't be shy around here, any input or opinions that you have will be more than welcome!

Old 08-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. wow sweet pic. enjoy your stay here. we all have fun hanging out.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:19 AM

WOW nice bike. welcome to the forum.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 AM

Welcome to the forums!! I can see why you want to find one of those bikes again!! I haven't seen or heard of any around me but will keep an ear out. Also, you can check out other forums too. There are many others that you might find what your looking for over there. Kawiforums.com is one that comes to mind and also sportbikes.net

Old 08-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome bro. Nice looking bike too, get some front flushies and some small arrows for the rear and it would even be cleaner.

Here a pic of my 95 ZX7 not as pretty as yours but used a little differently.

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/1F4A68E6D73343838350770FC91B374F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-11-2005, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the welcome guys... I do appreciate it.

That pic is pretty much stock... minor mods... windscreen, pipe, steering damper... it was set up great from the factory - so why mess too much with a good thing, ya know?
Like I said before - lots of people passed over the bike for almost 6 months in the showroom. I didn't think much of it either until I pushed it out into the sun. Once I did that - game over. That is stock paint, lettering, frame and rims. Absolutely beautiful... the pic on here does it no justice either... seriously.

I still don't much care for the redesign... I think it was in 95? with the new headlights. The dual ram air was cool looking, but I prefer the lights of the earlier model. I know it is something silly as a detail, but the bike just had it's own look, ya know? They released the same color for 95, but the frame and rims were grey... just didn't have the same look. That black really did something for the bike.

Anyhow - enough rambling... just wanted to say thanks for the welcome and ask everyone to cross their fingers for exposing the wife. Talked about it some last night - was not very receptive at all.

This may end up not panning out to anything.

Quick Reply: Old Noob