New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Default Newbie

Hi everyone. Have a ZX-10R and have had it for about a year now, but I just started riding it this year. I'm from New York and I am a bit hesitant when I ride because some people don't know how to drive around here. My boyfriend is always telling me to be careful, watch the people around me, watch out for stuff in the road, etc. but he makes me a little scared. Has anyone taken a riding class and if you have do you find that it helped you ride better?

Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Default RE: Newbie

Welcome- i have been riding since i was 19 (28 now) and i just took the class this yr. I would have to say to take the class. It really helps alot. I learned alot.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i would take the safety course if i were you. it would help you feel better about being on the road. and don't forget to gear up and ride safe.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Take the rider course. Then in about a year, take the experienced rider course. The beginner course is on little 250 somethings they provide. The experience course is on your own bike.

I have had bikes since I was 15. I'm 43 now. I took the beginner course about 15 years ago and took the experience class this year. You can never have too much knowledge about riding.

Just one observation though. Have you ever ridden before? The ZX-10R is a helluva first bike if it is your first. Please be careful. They can be a handful.

The one thing I always tell people is ride like the other people on the road can't see you. Make sure you are in their mirrors, stay out of blind spots.

Oh yea, welcome to the board.

Kevin

Old 08-01-2005, 07:52 AM

Take the MSF for sure!! Is this your boyfriends bike that your riding? That's a big starter bike for anyone! The course will show you how to be seen and a safe rider as well. Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! Take the course. And if this is your first bike, consider trading down. Too much bike that can scare you often. My 2 cents

Have fun

Old 08-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums! The course is the best thing that you could do. It'll set a good solid base to build on. I took the course this past April and I am so glad that I did, otherwise I probably would have panicked when that dumb dog started chasing me! It is nice to jump on the bike and know that you are equipped with the knowledge to handle most of the situations that suddenly pop up! Good luck and be careful on the 10R - that is a crazy bike to be starting on.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 AM

You definitely need to take a riding course. You've picked perhaps the worst/most dangerous bike you could learn to ride on. Good luck and I wish you the best, but you should seriously consider getting a bike that makes a whole lot less horsepower to learn how to ride. As a newbie on a ZX10R, you should be as hesitant of the machine that you decided to choose as your first just as much as the bad drivers in your area.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Unless you are 6 ft 5, and a weightlifter, this is NOT a bike that most females should consider riding for a first bike. This is a very big, heavy and powerful bike - and even experienced riders shy away from it until they are ready for The Ultimate. I hope that you seriously re-consider using this as your first bike... it is not something traditionally geared for learning. If you are 5-4 to 5-9 and 120-160lbs consider a 250 or ex500 at best, and eventually going up to something like a 600.

I would also have to agree with an earlier poster - how experienced of a rider is your boyfriend if he is actually endorsing this as a first bike for you?

In light of that - learn from the safety course - not from the boyfriend.

Sorry - but when it comes to bikes - blunt and honest is the best policy to stay safe. Make sure you wear your gear. Bikes can be fixed - many times when it comes to bikes that big and powerful - the people cannot be fixed.

Best of luck. Use your head - not your right hand.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 AM

Welcome, good luck, and have fun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie