New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New user - KLX250s pre-purchase questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up New user - KLX250s pre-purchase questions!

Hey all!

My name is Tim, I'm about to get back into riding after a 20-year lapse. I'm 42 now and I figure it's time to get back in the saddle, I've always missed it. I rode a lot of off-road on various bikes all throughout my teens - mostly Hondas. SL's, XL's, XR's etc. I've ridden a few 2-strokes with "super power" -but I'm not a speed freak, my passion has always been just putting around and exploring on a 4-stroke. I did own a Yamaha DT175 back in the early 80's which I loved.. Have not been on a bike in a LONG time! I'm going to attend the MSF Basic rider course and get my license before I make any purchase. The reason for a dual-sport is so I can put around town as well.

After lurking around the various forums and learning a ton over the last copula weeks, I've decided on a KLX250S, I plan to buy a 2010 new.

Now here go some n00b questions!

1) What do you think is a fair price to pay for a new 2010 off the floor? I understand the sales people need to make a living but I don't want to get screwed over. I plan to write a check for the bike once the time comes. (need to sell a coupla other "toys" first)

2) Would you buy the extended warranty? If not why? If so why? I plan to put a new header/pipe and re-jet the carb after break in. I would assume this would not void the warranty.

3) I called my insurance agent to get a estimate today, does $800 (per year) for full coverage and $500 for liability sound high? Would you even bother with full coverage?

4) What on-line accessory dealers do you guys like? www.motorcycle-superstore.com? www.cyclegear.com? (just did a quick google search and those were the first two that came up)

5) Do any of you have personal experience with the Versa-Haul bike carrier? I have a capped '99 Tacoma 4WD and would need to haul the bike out of town on occasion. I have a Class III hitch and from my research, that setup should be just fine for my needs.

I'm sure there will be more questions but I'll save them for later..

Thanks in advance for everything!

Last edited by spoof; 05-26-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF! Congrats on getting back on the ride, the MSF is alot of fun and if you need KLX info the moles down the hill have you covered.

As for your Q's;
1. Check the MSRP, you shouldnt have to go much higher than that.
2) I never deal with warranties, so I would say no but thats personal opinion.
3) 800 sounds high to me, is that per year? Location plays a big role in it so everyone will be different, but always shop around.
4) There are hundreds of them, I just go for the best deal.
5) Nope.

Now take the plunge and start getting dirty!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I know that I will be of little help here. But welcome to KF

My lil ninja 500 with a 300k uninsured full coverage was like $530/yr in Nevada. But since moles tend to fall down more than others???? Maybe why the price hike. lol

Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well first of all welcome, and I'll try to curb my enthusiasm and not act a fool, but come on man this is the best bike ever!!!!!!!!!!.........oh well I tried. LOL Lets see if I can answer a question or 2

1) What do you think is a fair price to pay for a new 2010 off the floor? I understand the sales people need to make a living but I don't want to get screwed over. I plan to write a check for the bike once the time comes. (need to sell a coupla other "toys" first)

I've heard anything from 4400 to 5800, depends on how greedy the shop is, how far it was shipped, and how bad they want to sell it. If you have the money, it really is a buyers market with the way the economy is out there.

2) Would you buy the extended warranty? If not why? If so why? I plan to put a new header/pipe and re-jet the carb after break in. I would assume this would not void the warranty.

I did buy the 4 year warranty, and I broke even on the decision as I had work done a couple of times that covered the $440.00 that I spent. But the breaking even wasn't really the reason that I wanted the warranty of that I was happy with the decision. While I take care of my stuff to the superlative degree, I didn't want to baby the bike for the next 5 years, so for me the warranty was really the piece of mind I had to not be afraid to open it up and just have fun.

3) I called my insurance agent to get a estimate today, does $800 (per year) for full coverage and $500 for liability sound high? Would you even bother with full coverage?

Don't get full coverage in my opinion. If you can afford the bike, you can afford to use the money to make money in a savings account. I got $300,000 liability for my bike at a staggering $80.00 a year from Geico. And for another 10 bucks I added the wife's Yamaha XT 225.

4) What on-line accessory dealers do you guys like? www.motorcycle-superstore.com? www.cyclegear.com? (just did a quick google search and those were the first two that came up)

Yes on the Superstore, but really Our site here and others like it have discounts for members. And remember you can always ask us where we got this or that, and generally we will steer you in the right direction...

5) Do any of you have personal experience with the Versa-Haul bike carrier? I have a capped '99 Tacoma 4WD and would need to haul the bike out of town on occasion. I have a Class III hitch and from my research, that setup should be just fine for my needs.

I have actually never seen in person any of the hitch carriers. So in that respect I would not be able to add any viable opinion to this question. I do however think that that type of carrier is pretty cool for easy loading while keeping the canopy. But if I was going to buy one, it would be the kind with the curved arm that comes down on the seat. I don't trust the straps when they are that vertical on a bike.

LINK TO THAT STYLE>>>>>>> CLICK

Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I forgot to tell you that adding aftermarket items will NOT!!! void any warranty.