New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New rider looking at 500r

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Default New rider looking at 500r

Hey everyone, i just passed my safety class this weekend got a perfect score on written and riding. I know I'm not perfect on riding but felt like I had some good control. I found a 2009 Kawasaki 500r with 1500 miles on it for $4,000 with a muzzy exhaust and jet kit installed, not exactly sure what that means but do you think its a good deal? A good starter bike for me? I was told I would get bored with a 250 within a week or so. Im 22 weigh 180 and 6 feet tall. Feels good and doesn't weigh too either. Thanks for all your input! Hope to be continuing to be on this forum.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The most common line you will hear at a dealership is "you will get bored with this one, you should buy this bigger one" which can be true to an extent, but you can always improve and make any ride exciting, in fact you can have more fun on a 250 passing the 600's in the turns. The 500 is a great ride both for beginners and for tourers, great handling and response it just doesn't have the "throw you off the back" power of the 4 cylinders.

4k seems a little high to me, it is a 2009 so its worth more but the design of the 500 hasn't changed in oer 20 years. The parts on a 1990 model are completely interchangable with a 2009. Personally I'd pick up an early 2000's model for around 3k if I was looking. But if you fall in love with it, you wont lose much on the resell so go for it!

Muzzy exhaust is an aftermarket exhaust, probably just a slip on muffler but could be a full exhaust system replacement if the previous owner went all out on it. It doesnt really give you much more power, mainly just a different sound. The jet kit is a modification to the carb to throw more fuel into the engine to compensate for the increased airflow from the exhaust. When you are shopping for a ride, people will be quick to point out these modifications as selling points, but remember that whenever someone customizes a bike, they do it to fit their personal taste, not yours. Dont pay more for a bike just because it has mods, expecially if you dont want them in the first place.

Have fun shopping, and welcome to KF!

Last edited by Prom; 05-11-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

That 500 has low miles but not $4k worth (IMO). The 500 is a good all around bike. rides nice, too soft in the suspension, no power upgrades, basically just like the cheap cars out there (just do not expect too much nor sink alot into the performance aspects). Ride it and enjoy, They are a good bike to use so good luck on your decision.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Member

"you will get bored with a 250"
I have heard a story about a guy that rode 600's and liter sportbikes his wife had a ninja 250 the guy died on it

It was really fun to ride and he was just going to the store helmet only and "rode it like he stole it"

Please for all the new riders "ATGATT" all the gear all the time.

Riding motorcycles no matter -type or size is a good time pretty much across the board

Even mopeds are fun! -- insert joke here >>>>>>>>>>>>>> but they are ....really

Last edited by wedge; 05-12-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Important thing to remember: Don't set your sights on buying the first bike you find and like. Craigslist is the best thing to come along since Ebay (back when Ebay was a place to get things cheaper than retail). I shop around extensively and compare all the bikes I'm considering before I make a decision. $4k does sound high. There are quite a few 500s on Craigslist around here, so check it in your area if that's the bike you want. You're bound to find a better deal.

As far as a 500 being a good beginner bike, I can ony say that I hear from other people that it is. A nice, docile parallel twin is a good place to start riding. Ive never ridden one, but I assume if falls somewhere between the 250R and 650R performance-wise. Has the seller mentioned anything else done to the bike besides the addition of the exaust? This kind of thing is why I prefer to buy 100% factory stock bikes, so when I modify it, I know it's done correctly. Thankfully, he did jet it. But keep in mind that very few aftermarket parts will add real value to the bike. It will in the eyes of the seller, but not in the eyes of the potential buyer. If his price is high because he thinks the exaust adds a lot of value, he's in for a lot of haggling.

Last edited by 94Ninja250; 05-12-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on the class. Just remember the class gave you some good skills that will hopefully keep you alive. Now the real education comes into play. You can't buy experience...Just remember to ride slow for the skill level you are currently at, but not so slow that you become an easy target. Finally ride like everyone is out to run you over.....because they are.