New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to motorcycles in General :) Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey illegal,, welcome to KF,,, and Kevystoy and Kohburn has the best suggestion,, as far as ninja's go,,

Deej your always persuading lmao,, but its all good...

IMO the best solution is have a KLX and a Ninja 650

Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. Some good advice to read here. Being prideful and not knowing your ride or abilities can be dangerous to your health.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome, just wear all the gear and use your head.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM

wow thanks for all the advice This is exactly what I was hoping for when I signed up and made this thread... I still plan on getting the 650 only because i know that if I don't i'll be disapointed in the long run because I really don't want to have to buy another bike in 2 years cause mine's to small. I'm sure I will bang it up quite a bit and will have to work on it but I figure it's all part of the experience

Old 09-26-2008, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IllegalDamage
wow thanks for all the advice This is exactly what I was hoping for when I signed up and made this thread... I still plan on getting the 650 only because i know that if I don't i'll be disapointed in the long run because I really don't want to have to buy another bike in 2 years cause mine's to small. I'm sure I will bang it up quite a bit and will have to work on it but I figure it's all part of the experience

The 650 is fine. But like I said, don't spend the cash on a new one. Get one a couple years old. They have been around since '06. You should be able to come across one.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IllegalDamage
I'm sure I will bang it up quite a bit and will have to work on it but I figure it's all part of the experience
As a nearly 16 year old non-rider this is an easy thing to say. When the bike gets 'banged up a bit' you're usually on it. The same forces that bang up the bike also bang up your body, and while a complete set of good gear, which must include boots, worn all the time, will protect against road rash and may save your life, it offers very little protection against broken bones and severe bruising. Both of those hurt. A lot. If you're happy accept that part of the experience, then go with the 650.

If you want to avoid that part of the experience, as well as becoming a better rider, faster, then take the advice of an instructor with over 600,000 miles of riding, and get an old 250 to start on..

Rob

Old 10-02-2008, 03:19 AM

This post might be a bit late but Ive been riding motorbikes since I was 6 years old and I started out on a 250 as well. Because its all about style for you and because you prefer a ninja over a klx, for example, how about taking a 2007 500r ninja. It is not bad to get started on and it doesnt have the lack of power you would experience on a 250 when you get better at riding. Like most of the guys already said the key to become a safe rider, in terms of mainly protecting yourself from damage, is to take it slow and not to expect to look cool and be able to do everything as soon as you sit down on that bike. Always remember that you can fix the bike in case of a crash but you cant fix your body. Oh by the way Im only 16 too and I never wanted a brand new bike but I couldnt find anything used at the time.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You started out on a 250 when you were 6?.........

Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM

No deej I started out on a 50 until I could ride then I bought a DT 80 and now Im riding my 250 :P
I was talking about starting out in traffic its different than the dirt I should have mentioned that

Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
Hey illegal,, welcome to KF,,, and Kevystoy and Kohburn has the best suggestion,, as far as ninja's go,,

Deej your always persuading lmao,, but its all good...

IMO the best solution is have a KLX and a Ninja 650
Exactly!
Name:  IMG_0164.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  106.0 KB

Quick Reply: New to motorcycles in General :) Need some help