New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to forums and to motorcycles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Default New to forums and to motorcycles...

1. What is your first name (or middle name)? Tony
2. When's your birthday (year if you want to include it)? April 16, 1988
3. What do you do for a living? student at Virginia Tech
4. Married or Single? single
5. Favorite ice cream? cookies and cream
6. Coffee or tea? coffee
7. If you are old enough....what is your favorite "drink"? beer
8. What is your favorite color? orange
9. Who is your favorite band / favorite CD? open to everything
10. What is your favorite movie? GoodFellas
11. What is your favorite TV show? The Office
12. Any pets, if yes, what? none
13. What other hobbies are you into? cars, sports
14. What was your first bike? waiting to get one
15. Who or what inspired you to ride? friend
16. How long have you been riding? noobie

===========================

What's up guys, I'm very new to the motorcycle scene but have always wanted to learn to ride since I was 16 when a few of my friends first started riding. I decided a few weeks ago it was time to take an initiative toward purchasing my first motorcycle and learning how to ride. I have signed up for a MSF course but it isn't until about a month from now so I have a lot of time to read and research. I have just started reading "Proficient Motorcycling" and am doing as much as I can to learn more in order to prepare myself before the MSF course. I understand the importance of getting good gear and riding safely.

After researching possible beginner bikes and having a budget of about $4,000, I narrowed it down between a used Ninja 250 or 500 for my first bike. I'm about 5'11, 185 pounds so I think both will fit me pretty well. What are your experiences with these bikes? Would the 500 be too much to handle for a total beginner? I will mainly be riding short distances locally, but I would like to have the kick of a 500 to ride safely on the highway every now and then if I need to. Being 20 years old, how much cheaper do you think insurance will be on a 250 as compared to a 500? I will pretty much make my final decision on which one to buy based on the best deal I can find this summer after my MSF course is over. I just wanted to make sure the 500 wouldn't be too powerful for me if I found a used 500 for cheaper.

I love the look of the new 08 250 but everywhere I look people are told to stay away from buying a new bike as their first. Do you think it is a horrible idea to buy the new 250 for a new bike or are there instances where people have done fine with no previous motorcycle experience? How do the old 250 and 500's compare to the new 250 model (fuel economy, suspension, safety) other than the new look?

Thanks for all the help!

Tony

Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New to forums and to motorcycles...

welcome to KF

Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

First off, Welcome to the KF family. Starting out on a Kawi is definately showing wisdom beyond your years. Second, Welcome to the exciting world of two-wheeled transportation. It's definately the only way to go. I usually tell people to stay away from buying a new bike as a first bike, because chances are, you're going to drop it. That being said, it's a tough call, 'cause the new 250R is just plain sexy. I really don't see a 500 as being too powerful for anybody. The it'sa pretty safe bike for a beginner.It does have enough power to amuse you for years. Good decision on signing up for an MSF course, and that will definately help your insurance.With a 500R, you'll be looking at about 50mpg. With a 250R, you should be looking at about 70mpg. Either way, you will probably never drive your car again unless you have to. If I was in your position, I don't think I'd be able to stay away from the new 250R. It'll break your heart when you drop it though, and chances are, that will happen during the MSF course, when you're doing the box. No matter what you get, you'll be happy with it. With the new 250R's out, you should be able to get a really good deal on an older model. Both the 250R and the 500R are very beginner friendly bikes that will serve you well. If it were up to me, given the choice betweenan older 250R and a 500R, I'd probably go with the 500. The fuel mileage is great, the insurance shouldn't be too bad, and it is a better bike for the highway. Just my $.02

Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF. I would go with the 500 also. Sounds big, but you would be fine.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on everything vic said

and good choice on the msf course.. youll learn tonnes there.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: rocketrotary

If I was in your position, I don't think I'd be able to stay away from the new 250R. It'll break your heart when you drop it though, and chances are, that will happen during the MSF course, when you're doing the box. No matter what you get, you'll be happy with it. With the new 250R's out, you should be able to get a really good deal on an older model. Both the 250R and the 500R are very beginner friendly bikes that will serve you well. If it were up to me, given the choice betweenan older 250R and a 500R, I'd probably go with the 500. The fuel mileage is great, the insurance shouldn't be too bad, and it is a better bike for the highway. Just my $.02
That's what I was thinking, since the MSF course mainly involves low speed manuevering, which is when most beginners drop their bikes anyway, I could see how comfortable I really am on a motorcycle. This way if I feel good I can be more confident looking into the 08 250, but if not I'm going to hunt for a used 500/250. I feel like I can find old 250's for dirt cheap now especially with the 08's selling as well as they are.

Do you guys recommend going to a dealer to look at used bikes or buying from private sellers? I don't really know much about bikes so I was planning on asking a mechanic or friend to come with me who knows more than I do to see whether or not I would be getting a good deal or not and to help me haggle the price down further. A main reason I'm even considering buying a new 08 250 is because of the warranty options available with new vehicles.

Thanks for the help so far it's been great input.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF man, you'll be fine onany bike if you use common sense.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

The warranty is a great thing to have.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the site Tony, if your looking for a great bike, check out the great signature picture that my good friend Rocketrotary made me. FTW Boo yaa[8D]

Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF!

Yeah, my first thoughts was of the EX500, the pre 08 250, then the new 250 in that order. Tough call. Good luck

Quick Reply: New to forums and to motorcycles...