New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

new to forum

Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Default new to forum

josh, out of richmond va usa
im 25... in the process of trying to get some info that might help me toward getting this first bike. never owned before but not new to riding, rode for 3 almost 4 years now after my dad decided he was no longer capable to ride his 00 vulcan 1500. well time has come that he has been forced to sell it an now ive been considering a few kawasaki that are for sale/trade localy, most specifically a 88 zx750 that was a streetfighter project that has been offered along with a e30 bmw to trade for my current daily driver.

ill most likely make another thread in a more appropriate section of the forum for the bike im interested in but need some helpful info with.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome jash. What do you need "helpful info" regarding? Frankly, when I hear the term "streetfighter," I assume (maybe incorrectly) some abusive riding has occurred with a bike, or that the owner has broken the bodywork and is too cheap to find replacements. It's one thing to rev an engine through the gears under consistent acceleration. It's totally another to thrash, lug, routinely bang the rev limiter, or otherwise behave as if you have no regard for the internal parts of your engine. Another thing to consider is availability of parts for a bike of that vintage, as well as your knowledge of repairing said vintage bike. If you're mechanically inclined and have some tools, an older bike may be OK. If you are NOT into the mechanical stuff, I'd save my pennies for a newer bike with fewer scars and obscure parts to find when they break.
Just my 2 cents.
Welcome to the forums. Gear up and stay safe, no matter what you end up with.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Josh, welcome to the forums, here is a trick that I use when drooling.....I mean looking at bikes. Hit Craigslist in your area to start with. Then hit the motorcycle link, type in 1970, and check the box that says show image, and then hunt by year, you will be surprised what kind of cool bikes are out there. Sometimes there is already an almost perfect bike for what you have been looking for. The reason I start with 1970 is because I like to look at all the old bikes, but in my opinion, bikes really started to get fugly in 1984, and that's as high as I will go. Sorry to all my crotch riding and cruiser bros out there. Its just an opinion. Oh the KLX notwithstanding LOL

Here is my idea of a sweet bike. minus the leather bags. Throw up a set of modern goretex saddlebags and a good larger bag, and off you go.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, Welcome to KF and I kinda like the sounds of keeping the 2000 VN1500