New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to bikes what would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Default New to bikes what would you get?

[align=left]Hey everyone im completely and utterly new to bikes and everything! so all and any help would be appreciated...anyways what i want to know is what kind of bike should i get? i was thinking about 500cc or 600cc because i want something that ill be able to grow into, i know you guys are partial to kawasaki's, but like what about a Yamaha FZ6 or a Suzuki GSXR? i really like the kawasaki 636's body style, and i thought about getting a 500 ninja, but i dont really like the front styling very much so what should i get? my budget is probably somewhere between 3-5 thousand. Also, how many miles would you say is too much for a used bike?
[/align]

Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New to bikes what would you get?

How I look at starting at bikes (me included), looks should mean very little. I look at it, get a bike that you fit on comfortably and for cheap. Because I am expecting to drop the bike at least a couple times. You don't really want to do that to a new bike, or a bike with large (and expensive) farings.

That is just my thinking, and Welcome to KF!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! As mentioned, try out a few rides if possible to make sure you will be comfy with it. Also keep in mind insurance costs and maintenance costs if you do drop the ride. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

Don't buythe brand new YZFX900000RRR superbike until you can manage a cheaper used bike, or a cheap new bike. Don't worry about dropping it. Newbies usually drop a bike because they got a little too rambunctious on it. If you stay within your ridingabilities, you probably won't drop it. I have never dropped mine.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Get what you are comfortable with, as long as there isnt a disconnect between your brain and the throttle hand you shouldnt have any trouble...and welcome to KF

Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Newbies usually drop a bike because they got a little too rambunctious on it. If you stay within your ridingabilities, you probably won't drop it.
Good point, but Sh*t still happens. Not just a Newbie issue either.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF. 50,000 miles and up is worn out. if you do get a higher mileage bike make sure all service records are there.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If you're new to bikes and (perhaps therefore) have limited repair and troubleshooting skills, I'd suggest something as low mileage and as new as possible. You don't want to begin your moto-experience on a sour note by having to fool with someone else' mess. (It can be frustrating as **** and involve more expense than you bargained for.) I'd also go with no more than a 600 so you don't get HP intoxication and do something stupid. (That comes later.)

Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF use your brain on picking a bike

Quick Reply: New to bikes what would you get?