New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to bikes and this forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Default New to bikes and this forum

I currently DO NOT own a bike yet and quite frankly have no clue about them if some people could help me out about maintenance and things like that, easy to own? how long can they last? how hard are they to ride? Easy to learn how to ride? all these things are new to me but I have always liked Crotch rockets and I can finally get one, I am 17 and I was thinking on starting slow and getting a ninja 250r for now. but I have no clue on what I need to do to own the dane thing, Let me know thanks and I apologize if these things are already answered but I don't have time to search around.

Rick

Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

First of all, sign up for an MSF course. Thats Motorcycle Safety Foundation. You can find a class in your area from here. http://www.msf-usa.org/
They teach you all the basics. Like you know nothing at all. They are not hard to ride, but not everyone can grasp the concept of operating the clutch with their hand and shifting with their foot. Can you drive a stick shift car? That takes good cordination. It will help with a bike.

Being a newbie, do not buy a brand new bike as your first. It will go down. Either falling in the driveway, or God forbid, you do crash it. It will be less painful fixing up plastics on an older bike than a brand new one. A 250 is a great size to start on. Easy to pick up cheap, and easy to pick up when it falls over.

Get proper gear. Jackets, gloves, helmet, pants. You can never have too much protection. I repeat, you can never have too much protection.

Maintenance is like any other vehicle. With proper maintenance a motor can last a long time. I have a bike that has over 77k miles and it runs better than it did when I bought it.

I can't think of anything to tell you right now, but I'm sure others will chime in to help you.

Last edited by KevyzToy; 01-31-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:48 PM

Wow KevyzToy, Thanks a bunch you have helped me alot alright last question, how often do you do tire changes, brake changes, oil change, tranny fluid change, fuel filter, oil filter air filter stuff like that

Last edited by Nips; 01-31-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome nips, glad you found us, like was already mentioned above. the MSF course is the best place to start. Have fun, stick around, and let us know what you end up doing. Oh and take a look at the KLX 250S Dual Sport......sorry I just had to, it's in my blood.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome, i have yet to take the MSF course (march 24th) but im all signed up for it. gear up and take that course. the 250 is a good bike to learn on but you might want to go bigger after a while. i had a 500 last season as my first bike and got short on cash so i sold it in august. im buying a ninja 650 coming soon so that should be pretty fun. and btw the KLX's look pretty cool

Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. Participate on a track day, you will learn alot with the instructors during that 2 day course.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 AM

With the MSF course I do not need a bike right? I would call them but they are closed now so wont be able to call until monday and I work so that wouldn't work

Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome, just remember it's not how fast you go...it's how you look doing it.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nips
With the MSF course I do not need a bike right? I would call them but they are closed now so wont be able to call until monday and I work so that wouldn't work
Most of the beginners classes you actually can't use your own bike. They will provide the bikes. Hey maybe you will get to use a KLX and then you will want one after the class.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 AM

lol ok kool thanks again,

Quick Reply: New to bikes and this forum