New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Default New to Bikes

Hey all,

Well im 25, and live in SoCal. I have ridden very breifly when i lived in Hawaii.....but honestly nothing to the extent of an everyday experience.

Anywho...myself, along with my brother, are looking into buying a bike and we both love the ZZR600. We are both rather tall (around 6-2) .....and were wondering if this would be a good bike to purchase.

Also....ive been in the car performance scene for years....was wondering what kind of upgrades (both performance and appearance) you would recomend at first?

thanks
michael

Old 07-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Default RE: New to Bikes

Hawaii eh? Howzit Bra!? I was born/raised on Oahu, moved to WA in '91. I'm 6'2" and I just purchased an '05 ZZR600. I'd recommend you take the MSF course (if you haven't already), get your endorsement(s), then go find a dealer that'll let you test ride a bunch of bikes. If they have a used '00-02 ZX-6R, go ahead and try that too, it's the same bike as the '05 ZZR600 with a few small (mostly cosmetic) changes. No better way to see what fits you best other than trying them all on for size. Remember to try several different riding positions when on each bike (i.e. shift your butt towards the back of the seat, try a fully tucked position, as well as just a comfy relaxed upright position)

Overall I'd say the bike fits me pretty well, but you'll have to understand that most sportbikes will feel a bit small, at least that was my observation. The seat height is comfortable when stopped, my feet feel just a little cramped on the pegs if I keep my toes on the levers and my rear in the back of the seat, but you'll probably prefer riding with the ***** of your feet on the pegs for long distances after you get up to speed. My weight is balanced nicely between my feet, my seat, and my hands. I can get into a full tuck, leaning on the tank, but I don't know how long I could hold it. If I had a tank bag to lay on I'm sure I could hold it for a long time. I am considering getting a Zero-Gravity Double-Bubble windscreen to make the tuck a little more relaxed. That said, you'll find the ZZR one of the most "relaxed" sportbikes around. It's also a whole lot cheaper for insurance as it's now classified as a "street/sport-touring" bike instead of a sportbike, but don't let that fool you, it's a sportbike, and has more than enough power to keep you entertained for a while.

Old 07-02-2005, 03:18 AM

Welcome to the forum. The zzr600 is a pretty sweet bike. as Gerg said it is a sport bike with the comfort of a touring bike. Also the MSF is a smart way to go. I have been riding for about 7yrs and i just took the course this month. I learned alot and met a lot of long time riders who were taking the test. As long as you choose a Kaw it doesnt matter what you ride!!!!

Old 07-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I think the zzr600 is a great choice too. have fun with it. but be careful too. and gear up.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MAD KAW

welcome to the forum. I think the zzr600 is a great choice too. have fun with it. but be careful too. and gear up.

took the words right out of my mouth!!

Old 07-03-2005, 06:18 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forums!! I agree with the MSF course, they will teach you the basics and prepare you for everyday kinda of riding. The ZZR600 is a great bike to get, and should fit your size well. Where abouts did you live in Hawaii? I too lived on Oahu (Kalihi, Aiea, Makakilo, then finally Waipahu) till I joined the service and now call Las Vegas home.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hey! Welcome to the forums! Take the MSF, you'll learn so much from it. Also, good luck choosing a bike. Let us know how you make out!