New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Don't be too sensitive, they're just trying to help.

Originally Posted by G_Ryder28
Hows it going everybody, I'm 23, in the Air Force and I'm completely new to bikes. I'm currently statuined in Germany and we have some very nice roads to ride out here. I've been wanting a bike for years and i've finally decided to get one. I'm selling my 09 Civic EX and already ordered my first bike: 2010 ZX-6R. I should be taking my safety course the first week of April and hoping that New Jersey takes that to get my license. Regardless, I should be fully riding by the end of April. I cant wait. Any tips out there for new riders?
Hi G_Ryder28, and welcome to KF. I've read the posts on here, and thought I would chime in. Your original post asked other members of this forum for any tips for new riders. People who are taking the time to respond to your questions are simply offering you some free lessons and knowledge, based on past experience. Have you ever ridden a bike before? If your answer is no, then how can you get angry with someone who thinks it might be a good idea for you to learn on something other than a racing machine? You asked for their opinion, so try to keep an open mind when they give it to you. Now, here are my tips for you. You have already decided to purchase the 2010 ZX6R, so I will not tell you that you shouldn't start on it. You will understand why there were concerns soon enough. If you can afford to, buy a cheap used bike. Something like a 125cc or a 250cc for a sportbike. Also, make sure you buy a good helmet, gloves and boots. If you have a $100 head, then only spend that, but if you don't, spend more. You get what you pay for with riding safety equipment. Take the safety course to get your license. Then, sign up for a track day school. It will help you immensely! They will teach you all that you need to know and more. The biggest thing is to be smart and use your head. Be patient. Always expect the unexpected! Ride safe, and live to ride again! Thank you for your service, and good luck with your new bike.

Last edited by CDN ZX6r; 03-28-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: forgot a comma
Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nicely done CDN, a good write up.

Thanks G_Ryder28 for serving

Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Point to consider. Stationed in Germany, do the local laws apply?

If they do, new riders are limited to 125cc. There's a good reason for that, even if as US millitary you can obtain a US licence and bypass the local rules. Local drivers will assume that you're an experienced (> 2 years) rider and will give no quarter. German drivers are more disciplined than most, but also very strong on insisting that the rules are followed. Autobahn traffic can easily run at over 100 mph on some sections. Be very careful.

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 03-29-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey I learned something new! I didn't know any of that stuff. The 125cc limit, or the Autobahn traffic speed. I did know that the Autobahn was where people drive really fast. Do they have a speed limit now on the Autobahn, or is it unlimited?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CDN ZX6r
Hey I learned something new! I didn't know any of that stuff. The 125cc limit, or the Autobahn traffic speed. I did know that the Autobahn was where people drive really fast. Do they have a speed limit now on the Autobahn, or is it unlimited?
In Germany Drivers Ed is 2 years long. None of this 20 hours behind the wheel crap, these people learn how to drive and there is no being caught holding your cell phone while driving.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Some autobahns are unrestricted, some have a limit - usually about 120 kph - look for the signs. If it's an unrestricted section, expect Mercs and BMWs to come up behind you at 155 mph or more and be very pissed off if you hold them up. Lane discipline is rigorously enforced - no passing either side, but splitting by motorcycles is the norm. Not sure about the legality of that in Germany these days, but it's routinely done across the EU. I've never been pulled for it, but you need to know what you're doing and be safe.

Also be aware that roundabouts are common. These seem to confuse American drivers. Traffic deposits make them slippery so unwary bikers fall off on them, especially when it's wet.

Motorcycle insurance in Germany was the highest in Europe a few years ago. I don't know if that's still true. Bikes like the ZX6R attract very high premiums and there is a multiplier effect for inexperienced riders - generally anybody with less than about 5 years experience or much under about 30 years old. As a thirty two year old with 16 years on road and a UK instructors qualification I found it cheaper to take out UK insurance and pay a 100% loading for unlimited full European cover than to pay German insurance rates - I was living in Luxembourg. Riding without insurance attracts very heavy penalties.

Neither the MSF nor track days teach you a fraction of what's needed for the roads, especially European roads, and some track schools teach stuff that is completely wrong for the road in terms of cornering and braking, but both types of training are essential to give you a starter.

Rob