New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New bike, new rider!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Default New bike, new rider!

Hey there,

I'm a new 21 year old rider in Portland, OR. In fact, I just bought my first bike yesterday (Green '08 Ninja 250R), after about 3 months debating and doing research. Hopefully the little ninja will provide a good source of fun while saving me a few bucks on gas on my commute to work!... Driving a Ford Expedition right now, and I'm getting sick of paying 90 bucks to fill the thing up every week.

Apparently, however, the salesman figured that a 250 would be a waste of my time and that a 600 would provide a superior learning experience and investment. Truth be told I felt a bit uneasy sitting on a 600; they felt significantly larger and heavier than the 250, not to mention they sport a much more aggressive riding posture that I really can't see myself learning on comfortably. No offense to anyone who started/is starting on a 600, but I had a heck of a time convincing the dealership guy that it just wasn't my cup of tea (for now?). I felt right at home on the 250, though. They're pretty slick little machines, though I despise the fact that the U.S. only got a carbed version and everywhere else got EFI [:@] I have a deep disdain for carburetors, ever since I first started working with them on my R/C helicopters. Oh well, what can you do?

But I digress... I might be able to get some pics online later. It is still at the dealership right now, however, seeing as how I really don't want to try my hand at riding it home. The dealership is about 50 miles away from my home, which is probably a bit too far for a first ride, at least for me. Haha.

Later!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New bike, new rider!

Welcome to the KF family. Make sure you get into an MSF course as soon as you can, so you won't have all of the bad habits to break later (and it'll save you on your insurance.) Smart choice sticking to your guns on the the bike you are comfortable with. The salesman just wanted to sell you a more expensive bike so he could get a bigger commission. A lot of people fall for that though. Good thinking.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice!! and welcome to the site I just picked up my dual purpose yesterday, and as far as research. Ive done mine all through this site. So shout out to every Kawi owner, THANKS

Old 05-14-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike and Welcome! I just got mine a few weeks ago and I'm loving it! Take Care and Ride Safe!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Brett, welcome to the forums. Don't listen to sales people, they are usually frustrated engineers that couldn't find a real job. If you want to find out the real scoop on bikes, ask the parts guys, all 4 of the guys at my shop ride all kinds of bikes and usually own at least 4 different bikes. Glad you found us, and good to hear that you went with your gut on the choice. You can always trade up after a couple of years, but you can't go back in time if you buy a bike that's too big and are not ready for it.

Disclaimer: No Engineers were hurt in the making of this post. (EMS)

Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF