New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

A MUST readfor new riders

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice. As a noob I thought wanted a bigger bike. Your article and a couple of others expressing the same sentiment inspired me. I bought a 2007 KLX250 the day I started the MSF class. Great class, It is amazing how much I did not know, and still don't. After I get a little more time on the bike I will do the safe rider class next.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 PM

So im in my first year of riding, and on my 2nd bike, started with a KLX 250, and then jumped to a 2009 250R, I did the safety course (it's free in PA) got my lisence, and have been a safe driver ever since.

I got hit by another motorcycle from behind, he was a more experienced rider, and was just being a ****-head. Long story short, his CBR 600 was totaled, my bike jsut needed a few new parts.

I've gone almost 8k miles since last spring. I want to ride through the winter....lol I did do 1 long ride from philly to DC and back. Im glad i did it, but it was exhausting.

My only real advise is, resist people urging you to do stupid **** on your bike. Don't be a ****head, have confidence in your ability, be aware of your surroundings, have fun, but be humble.

I'm planning on renting a 800-1000cc classic styled bike so i can ride out west next summer after my college graduation.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

My only real advise is, resist people urging you to do stupid **** on your bike. Don't be a ****head, have confidence in your ability, be aware of your surroundings, have fun, but be humble.

I'm planning on renting a 800-1000cc classic styled bike so i can ride out west next summer after my college graduation.
Congrats on the learning curve Formulax25 and good to know about you not being a statistic on the ***head that hit you.

Lets hook up on your way West for a ride if you like. Would be a nice road trip.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Lots of good info in that article. Since I work at a kawi dealership, you wont believe how many newbs get a 600 or bigger bike. We've had customers on crotch rockets and cruisers actually wreck or lay it over in our driveway. Even with our warnings and suggestions of safe courses and stuff customers dont listen. I've had 2 600cc ninjas and I rarely used the bikes full potential. I couldnt imagine owning a 1000cc or bigger. Exhaust and airfilter is all I did on any of my ninjas for performance because of the sound of the exhaust and ease of maintenance of a k&n. I've been to track days on my 05 ninja and I almost used all its potential. Im no pro rider by any means. A motorcycle is a totally different experience. Nothin like a car. Not to mention you have to watch out for the other idiots out there. 250 ninjas are pretty much the perfect starter bike. Size, cost and looks.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I am new here! Just giving a friendly Hello! I would agree as well... Hope to meet and get to know fellow riders. Peace Wave! Chris.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 AM

New to the site but not to sport bikes, and all of the posts are great advice for new riders......So here's mine

First and foremost.....Take the Motorcycle safety class offered in your area!!!

There is a lot to be said for HOW you will use the bike..........

Will you just putt around in town??? ...back roads???...Highway???...Back and forth to work???..Seasonal???...Long Trips???

A 250cc is a great starter bike....however, i would only suggest it to someone who planned to just use it around town to get back and fourth to work with little highway driving, and occasional weekends....possibly seasonal riders

With a 250cc if you stick with the sport and continue to ride you will get bored of the bike real fast and had wished you got something bigger. Also, if you planned to do any lengthy highway driving, you will be hitting close to the top end of that engine creating vibrations through the bike.
The bike is also lighter and you will be more likely to get pushed around by wind.

Additionally, I am 6'1" and a 250cc is just flat out too short of frame for me!....consider your height and weight.

Lastly, I have a hard time encouraging someone to buy a 250cc when my lawnmower is 190cc......

I think a 500cc- 600cc is a great starter bike for many, but not for a few.

Though you may never/rarely Hit the top end of a 600+cc (and you shouldn't unless you're on a track!), once you and the bike get to know each other, you are going to really appreciate having the passing power. The bike will be slightly longer for more comfortable placement, as well as a bit heavier to keep you planted on the street.

The best advice was stated earlier....Many only have enough dough for 1 bike, and you should buy the one you want!....You will only lose money trading up bikes.

In my experience, the person I see riding like an idiot and trying to challenge me on the road is typically riding a glorified scooter anyhow. That riders fate is set no matter the size of bike they are on.

There is always going to be other rider pressure, or "peer pressure" if you will (a fool challenging you on the road).....DON'T get sucked into it

THE BIKE IS NOT THE PROBLEM>>>THE RIDERS ARE>>>A BIKE ONLY DOES WHAT YOU TELL IT TO DO

It's simple....Know your limits!!....Respect your bike!....Don't ride like a Dip$4!t

Cheers and happy riding!

Last edited by Havoc; 03-08-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you sure you read the article? Maybe re-read the part about only being able to afford one bike. I think you misinterpreted what was written. Welcome aboard!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Great post, I'm new to this site and found this to be great info. I myself am a new rider, I've taken some riding courses but just haven't owned my own bike until now. I just purchased a 2012 KLX250s at the motorcycle show yesterday, I get to pick it up next weekend. I'm glad to see people talking about the whole 250/600 thing. To be honest I always used to say 600, 600, 600! But for basically all the reasons here I chose to be safer and go with the 250, personal preference. I'd rather learn on something I can completely utilize without being nervous rather than have to hold back on a bigger sized engine if you understand what I mean. Overall I'm more than happy with my purchase and I can't wait to start riding! This forum is gonna become a new habit, I can already see haha.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome elly_dee.
You've come to the right place for KLX250 support. There are a few others out there but this one is very active.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Woohoo! looking forward to what i get to read on here, gotta take in all the info!

Quick Reply: A MUST readfor new riders