New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

A MUST readfor new riders

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd add one comment, and one (major) complaint.

The comment is that apart from anything else, the 250 teaches you to plan ahead and to make the best use of the power available, and to extract all of that power. None of these skills are necessary if you learn on a sportsbike - until the sportsbike rider who put in his time on a 250 leaves you staring after his exhaust.

The complaint is just the length of an extremely good post. I suspect that non of the kids who should read it all will bother to get past the firtr couple of sentences. Pity. It might have kept them alive.

Rob

Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
JAC
1st Gear Member

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed in the original post. I've been riding on the street for about 20 years and have owned several bikes, none of them larger than a 600cc supersport as described in the post ('04 CBR). My newest bike, and my reason for joining this form, is a 250cc dual sport which is tonnes of fun. Nobody needs a big supersport machine to have fun. I had fun on mine and respected the hell out of its capabilities. But, I would have had fun on anything.

I think there should be some kind of graduated license system for motorcycles. It doesn't exist here (Alberta, Canada).

Old 08-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Banned
Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Im 27 yrs old, i just got a '07 Kawa ZZR600, 8k mi., first bike! It runs great and is an awesome bike to ride. I have had a little experience w a 250, but not much. 600's definately have some scary power...i just cruise primarily, and use the power/throttle to get strategically where i need to be on the road (not in a blindspot, i like to be in front of traffic or behind...not in or with traffic). But overall, i have ridden it fine, but i have been very patient and taken my time and have respected the bike and its power 100%.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

Solid posts.

I am looking at getting into the sport this spring with a KLX250s.

I have little experience with dirtbikes, and 0 experience on the road. But I do have friends that are experienced riders/racers.

These posts put my vision of learning to ride in perspective.

I appreciate the 'real-ness' of the posts.

Even tho I don't ride (yet), I have seen some friends start out with CBR600's and quit after a season, and friends who drive modded STX's buy 600's as a first bike.

I'm glad to say that I'm not making any of the previously posted excuses for buying a bike.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading other posts on the forum.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 AM

Hey all, I am quite new to riding. My younger brother had an 07 zx6r, that he was about to loose due to not paying the note. I picked it up the beginning of this winter for $1200. I have never ridden a bike before, other than a bmx or 18speed. Before buying this bike, a neighbor told me, its only 600cc, his 1500cc road bike is not that fast, that zx6r will be a dog, yea right. With no help, I commenced to teaching myself, in an abandoned sub-division, from the very beginning, this bike scared last nights dinner out of me, and still does. For the most part I only use two gears, 1st to start and immediately to 6th (to help curb some of the acceleration). I have ridden now nearly 2000 miles, just traded my permit for my license. I have yet to use the last 2 inches on the outside of the tires. I stay within speed limits (or the best I can tell, the gearing has been changed, so it registers fast about 72=55mph). And still, every time I get on this bike at some point it scares me nicely, so much so, that I finally decided to get that life insurance policy for my wife, that I have been putting off for so long. This is not the bike to learn on, I hope others will see your post and take your advice.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Radar

Sorry you're having such a struggle with your bike, but it just proves what many of us have been saying. The comment from the guy with the 1500 about the 600's performance shows how little many riders actually know about different types of bike. Ridden properly the 6R will eat the 1500 (cruiser?) for breakfast and spit out the bits.

At $1200 for an 07 the temptation to have it as a first bike would be irresistible.

You've probably got a mental block about it by now, so you may actually need to drop down to a 250 for a year before going back to the 600. At that price you could lay it up for a while if you feel the need to. That's a bit drastic though, so what I think you must do is an MSF course. Concentrate on the slow speed skills, and with those really mastered you'll have a bit more confidence to start using some of the bike's capabilities.

Don't worry about the 2" wide 'Chicken Strips' - You'll use more of the tyre as you gain confidence and better a wide chicken strip than a wreck.

What really worries me about your post is that you've been able to get a licence for a bike which after 2000 miles you obviously can't control properly, and which in the wrong hands is a potential killer.

Do that course. You'll learn a lot.

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 02-21-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Default I agree

I am a new rider and I took the HD course on a 500 which I felt was pretty powerful in itself. I picked up a zzr600 and everything on the bike moves faster (letting out the clutch, slight roll on the throttle, etc.) I love the bike though. I am still practicing all my techniques on it in a controlled setting before I take it anywhere too far from home. I am glad I saw this post. If I could have picked up a ninja 500 first, I probably would have done that. My insurance would have loved the 250 too.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Geez man

Im new and my 250 scares me! Went out in light traffic today and was nervous as a wh*re in church. I am registered to do the course in a few weeks (earliest I could get, been waiting a month) and I cant wait.

I am trying to get all the right gear and take my time, which is in short supply, but it sure is fun to be on that little thumper!

Thanks to all of you who take the time to post and pass on some knowledge and advice.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 AM

Nice writeup, I ride a 550cc and that is STILL a lot of power for a new rider. I appreciate the insight, and I will be referring a couple of my friends who are into the ninja 700cc bikes to this forum.

Quick Reply: A MUST readfor new riders