New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Was lurking, now a member

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Default RE: Was lurking, now a member

great to see more experience added to the forum. I'm a newbie, esp to wrench turning on a bike, but I'm nuts enough to try anything. My ZZr isn't a track-day kinda bike, but I'd still like to do it.....need to get some real gear first, plus I'd like to go with someone who can show me the ropes.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:09 AM

ORIGINAL: petezzr
.....need to get some real gear first, plus I'd like to go with someone who can show me the ropes.
That's one of the most intelligent post's I've read in awhile.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Very sweet pics Banzai, and welcome.

Nice looking form, I have had the hardest time learning how to get my *** off the seat. Just need more track time I guess.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:05 AM

Welcome Banzai, cool pics. Love your mods so far. Never ridden a street bike w/suspension work. Does it make it alot better like when you do it to dirt bikes?

Old 09-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice pics Banzai, looks like fun!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM

I've got a customer who races a Porsche 996, and I met him up at Road Atlanta (which is close to where I live) one day. Took the wife up there on the bike. Just seeing the track made me want to get on it, but I know enough to know that I'd either 'granny' it, or kill myself....I would like to go, though, I'd just like to go with someone else that knows what they're doing...Do you guys know if tracks have events or courses for newbies? For you guys who go regularly, how did you start?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Around here, they have a track school where they teach you the basics. Here is a link to the 'local' track here http://www.atlanticmotorsportpark.com/

Old 09-12-2005, 09:53 PM

that'd be awesome if Road Atlanta did something like that....Thanks!

Old 09-12-2005, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: crash972

Welcome Banzai, cool pics. Love your mods so far. Never ridden a street bike w/suspension work. Does it make it alot better like when you do it to dirt bikes?
Crash, the majority of production motorcycles (street & dirt) are sold with a "basic" suspension set up because of the thousands of different rider profiles. Not only does size and weight matter, skill level is a big one as well.

Like dirt bikes, suspension tuning can make a huge difference in the way a street bike handles. One of the most important (and highly over looked) things to do to a new bike is to have the suspension adjusted to the rider. Setting static sag and spring preload will ensure the bike is set up properly for YOU, the rider. If your owners manual doesn't explain how to do it (which is usually the case) you will have to purchase the factory sevice manual.
Another current problem for new street bikes is the factory suspension is sprung for two up riding. I believe it has to do with import taxes or something like that where it's cheaper to import a bike built for two so we get these sport bikes that are sprung to handle 250 to 300+ lbs and are stiff as hell for a single rider. It's not very expensive to have the springs changed which is an option. My preference is to go with an aftermarket product like Ohlin's where you have an excellent source of support and technical information. They are expensive, but IMO tires and suspension are the most important modifications you can make to a bike and are more than worth it.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 PM

Petezzr,

Road Atlanta is home to Kevin Schwantz's Suzuki School http://www.schwantzschool.com/ and I'm sure if you go to Road Atlanta's web site http://www.roadatlanta.com/index.lasso You can find a schedule of all of the companies who provide track days at their track. Since I'm from the left coast, I'm not very familiar with who does track days in your area. Most provide beginner level riding with instruction which is a great way to expand your skills in a controlled, safe, environment.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Was lurking, now a member