New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Looking to get into the sport.. dad is iffy..

Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Default Looking to get into the sport.. dad is iffy..

Hi Everyone,
Just joined the forums and am hoping to dive into the sport bike world in the spring/summer. My dad is very iffy as to letting me (I use the term 'letting' loosely, I'm 19, will be 20 by the time I start). Anyone else have that similiar problem and what did you do to diffuse it (if anything)?

What are the good brands as far as gear is concerned? And should I get the gear before or after (during?) the MSF course?

Otherwise, planning on starting on an EX250. My best friend is also planning on starting up so at least I'll have someone to ride with.

Btw, Ninja 250's do come in blue, right? Seen green (of course), black, red, and some yellows but no blues

Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Looking to get into the sport.. dad is iffy..

Welcome,

Take the MSF course and show him that you are approaching this in an intelligent way, not just jumping on a bike and learning the hard way.

Unless your parents are supporting you, I say do what you want. Just try to be respectful of course. Hope it all works out for you and welcome to the 2 wheel life.

Also you can paypal me your 25.00 monthly dues as well, in by the 10th of every month. LOL

Old 10-03-2005, 08:44 AM

I'd say start looking at gear, but don't get anything until you at least register for your MSF course. I know when I registered I got a paper including all sorts of coupons to local bike stores. Things like 15% off helmet, boots, and gloves if I brought in proof of my MSF registration like a week before the class. You may not have the same kind of deal in your area, but it's worth checking out... gear can get expensive.

Otherwise, I'd echo what Notstock said... Take the MSF course and show that you're doing it in an intelligent way. Show them that you're willing to learn on a good starter bike, and not just jumping into something way over your head.

And above all, like Notstock said, you can paypal me your 25.00 monthly dues... Or, tell you what, I'll handle both yours and your friends dues for just $40/month.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:57 AM

Well I was looking into a Teknic 2 pc Chicane suit and a Shoei helmet, totalling about a grand or so.. but I don't know much in terms of brand names and what is good/not good.. just heard that Teknic was a good buy from a guy on another forum.

Do you need your own gear for a MSF? Or do they provide for you?

As for my dad.. any bike is dangerous. "I trust you, it's the other people I don't trust" is his philosophy, which I understand. I have been trying to show him that I'm approaching this carefully and that I understand it's dangerous. I've been reading, reading, reading like crazy and I still have 6+ months before I even take the MSF!

Old 10-03-2005, 09:10 AM

May depend on the area, but I was required to bring boots that covered my ankles, leather motorcycle gloves, jeans, a long-sleeve shirt, and optionally a helmet (this particular place had some loaner helmets, double-check w/your place). I'd suggest calling and seeing what your local class suggests. Again, ask to see if they have coupons that could save you a good deal of money.

As far as your dad, he's absolutely right. But on the bright side, in MSF they also teach you how to look out for yourself, and put yourself in the right place at the right time, so that you can avoid most of the crazy's. Also gives you a good excuse to take it to the track! No cars to run you over there!

Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 AM

No tracks around here , but I'm not much of a track kinda guy anyways.. much prefer the streets (at least in the car, maybe a bike will be different).

Old 10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums! Definately call and see what you will be required to bring to the MSF. Also Teknic is a good brand. If I were you, I'd check out some local shops that sell gear, and see what they have, plus most shops will order stuff in for you.

I think that you are approaching this the right way. Show your dad that you are responsible and I'm sure that he will eventually support you in your decision. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2005, 07:01 PM

I will cosign on what everyone else is saying. Just pay very close attention in the MSF calss. Take what they are saying seriously even if you think it sounds silly. Those guys/gals know what they are talking about and want to teach you to be safe. As far as dad is concerned, he is just being a parent. My mom is the same way and I'm 38! Gear up, ride safe, ride careful, RIDE SMART.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Gerg

May depend on the area, but I was required to bring boots that covered my ankles, leather motorcycle gloves, jeans, a long-sleeve shirt, and optionally a helmet (this particular place had some loaner helmets, double-check w/your place). I'd suggest calling and seeing what your local class suggests. Again, ask to see if they have coupons that could save you a good deal of money.

As far as your dad, he's absolutely right. But on the bright side, in MSF they also teach you how to look out for yourself, and put yourself in the right place at the right time, so that you can avoid most of the crazy's. Also gives you a good excuse to take it to the track! No cars to run you over there!
My dad's the same way, and he used to ride....if you're still living at home, you may need to respect his wishes and wait a while, if you're on your own then don't try to convince him with words, 'cause you won't - he's your dad, and he'll worry!!

Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

MSF class is definitely the way to go and I agree with everyone here that it will hopefully show to your parental units that you are approaching this in a safe and responsible way by trying to learn as much as you can not only in how to ride the machine but how to hopefully learn techniques that will help you avoid cars/trucks, etc. That plus gear should sway them, the use of such phrases as "body armor", "padded for protection", "MSF class teaches real-world strategies on how to ride safely on the road" will hopefully sway the argument in your favor.

Gear up, keep both wheels on the road and ride safe. And welcome to the forum!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to get into the sport.. dad is iffy..