New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Looking to become...an expert, so to speak

Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Default Looking to become...an expert, so to speak

Hi there, I'm completely new to this world and I've recently decided to make a switch to riding because it's so much more economical than to lug around a big van that guzzles gas down.

I'm still deciding what to buy (But I was thinking a 250cc or 500cc within the kawasaki brand, of course) and I would like to become well versed in fixing up my bike and maintaining it myself but obviously I'm at square one. Just as much as I can fix up my guitars, I'd like to be able to know as much as I can about motorcycles.

Anyone want to be the first to direct me in what I should know in this long journey?

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF,, theres alot of good info and good folks here that wouldnt mind helping you on your way,,, first off What are you thinking about getting... A street perfomance bike/big cruiser/dual sport/ or just somthing thats in between... The versyes is a nice in between bike...

Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JRock420
Welcome to KF,, theres alot of good info and good folks here that wouldnt mind helping you on your way,,, first off What are you thinking about getting... A street perfomance bike/big cruiser/dual sport/ or just somthing thats in between... The versyes is a nice in between bike...
I was thinking something along the lines of one of those sport types? EX250 or something? I just want something that runs (and looks) nice as well as gaining an extra couple miles for my gas money.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I hear ya,,, well check out some of the specific ninja threads and etc... just browsing around here and reading peoples past experice should help you out... also check out kawasaki.com to see this years line up of bikes,, there freaking smokin this year..

Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF!!!

man... that journey is a long, yet fun one..we're here to help, as long as you have a vintage '68 Gibson flying V to donate to the cause...lol

just basically ask whatever comes to mind. you limit yourself to what you wanna learn here. theres tons of ppl here that are knowledgeable in bikes and are willing to share ideas and thoughts.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Start with an older 250.

From the riding perspective, you'll learn to ride better, faster, on one of these than on anything else.

From the mantenance perspective, one of these will have occasional problems which will force you to find your way around the bike. Cheap used spares are plentiful for bikes that are more than a couple of years old.

Find a good local training course and get a copy of 'Motorcycle Roadcraft'. Get a Haynes manual for the bike - lots of pictures and easy explanatory text. You should be able to get both through Amazon if you can't get them locally.

Looking to become an expert is ambitious, but attainable. The above will give you a start.

Rob

Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, as far as bikes go, I have heard great things about the KLX 250......hehehe

Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by williamr
Start with an older 250.

From the riding perspective, you'll learn to ride better, faster, on one of these than on anything else.

From the mantenance perspective, one of these will have occasional problems which will force you to find your way around the bike. Cheap used spares are plentiful for bikes that are more than a couple of years old.

Find a good local training course and get a copy of 'Motorcycle Roadcraft'. Get a Haynes manual for the bike - lots of pictures and easy explanatory text. You should be able to get both through Amazon if you can't get them locally.

Looking to become an expert is ambitious, but attainable. The above will give you a start.

Rob

Thanks so much for that, Rob-I'm looking at a 2003 EX250 right now, very cheap but it's got a heck of a lot of miles on it-around 200k or so...the owner says it's ran fine this entire time and that he's had it tuned up regularly. Runs about 900 dollars (I'd prefer not to break my incredibly small budget anyhow), what do you think?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, 200k miles. That is good. With that mileage, he should donate the ride to kf for a rebuild.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to become...an expert, so to speak