New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Just a few questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Default Just a few questions....

Well first off let me say hi… It’s my first time here, and I personally don’t own a bike yet… In fact I’ve never even ridden one…I have a few questions and was hope u guys/girls could answer them for me… o and I plan on getting a street bike, not a curser…

1.) What type of riding classes are offered out there…?
2.) Can someone explain to me what the difference is in Kawasaki models are?
3.) What years did the body styles change?

I would like to spend around 2-3 grand on my first bike, I also want it to be either a 500 or 600. I’m leaning more on the 600. No older then a 95… anyone have any ideas?

Guess I should explain myself onwhy I want a Kawasaki, and that’s for only one reason. They are ten times more comfortable then any other bike I have sat on…

Thanks for the help ahead of time guys…..

Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Just a few questions....

Welcome to the forums burn0ut350
Shopping time if you want a '95 and newer for $3k in the 600cc range. Good luck

Old 01-07-2007, 05:01 AM

I think it should be noted that I live in IOWA, and fromwhat I’ve seen so far I feel bikes are cheaper in the mid-west then any other region. On top of that its winter… good deals are to be had.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck on your search, and Welcome to KF. Look for an MSF course. They are certified by the DVM in most states to give motorcycle tests, you'll be able to goto the DMV with their completion certificate, and get your motorcycle endorsement without having to take the DMV's test.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 AM

So umm wut does MFS stand 4 anyway?

Old 01-07-2007, 03:21 PM

MSF stands for Motorcycle Safetey Foundation. There are people out there who debate the quality of the class... some people out there have had really bad experiences with it. Most people praise it to the skies and back, though. The first course I took was not through MSF, but still a good course. I just had bad luck and 'wobbly kitten' syndrome and dumped the bike so hard I lost radial movement in my left arm for two weeks, and--nontheless--couldn't grip the handlebars, shift, ect, to finish out the course so I was failed. I plan on retaking a course, and I'm considering the MSF simply because that's what the forumites recommend, and well, I take what they have to say to heart. Digressing: there's all sorts of courses you can take. Here, there are family owned and taught courses, formal courses through community colleges, MSF courses, Harley courses, ect. It's as simple as googling 'motorcycle training course' with a comma, ensued by your zip code.

As far as Kawasaki differences; I can't even begin to explain the intracies, because I'm a newb myself. I'll leave that to one of the 'gurus' here. Also, why are you getting a bike? Just to ride? For speed? For efficient transportation? If you are riding for thrills and speed, you should still probably start out with a smaller engine just to get accustomed to it; and that depends on your size... What's your height/weight? What can you manuever without duress? Myself; even though I'm a large gal (5'7" and 135lbs), I have crappy upper body strength, and felt much safer and comfortable sitting on a 250. Then again, I'm not riding for speed and thrills, I'm riding just to ride, to have a mode of transport ensuring my autonomy, fuel efficiency, and well, I think bikes are just plain hot. You might be able to start out with a 600 no problem. Others, like myself, would have great difficulty/feel too unsafe doing so.

Anywhoo, I'm still inexperienced, so what I'm saying is what I've processed and heard from my superiors, and may have faultily recycled, so listen to them over me!
[align=right]~Leena
[/align]

Old 01-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Well I’m 5’11” 155#, I wouldn’t mind riding on a 500. I defiantly will not ever own a 250. Reason being I don’t like the looks of them, and second id get way to much **** from my friends. A big part of y I want a 600 is because the handle bars a more recessed into the bike, and the handle bars on a 500 are up higher, making it so you don’t have to lean as much into the corners. (If I’m not mistaken)…. And to answer your question about y I want a bike, I’m not really sure. Ever since I owned a moped in junior high I want a motorcycle, 5 years later I still want one. Personally I’m getting a little bored with my camaro, and its getting to the point where its almost to nice to take it out and play with it anymore. I just want a bike that I can go out on the weekends cruse around, not waste alot of gas, pick up some chicks, and have a f-n good time…

Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The bars location of the 500 is comfortable for commuting and long rides. Clip ons do put abit more stress on body parts,provide less torque and control. ie, why dirt bikes have wide and high bars. But I prefer my clip ons for my style of riding. As mentioned above, if the bulk of the ride feels awkward, then it is prolly a good idea to play with something a little less awkward to begin with. Good luck

Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 PM

Sry 4 all the questions, but what are clip-ons?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

clip ons = handle bars that clamp onto the fork tubes. Normally clamped below the upper triple clamp which places them lower than normal handle bars(which are bolted above the upper triple clamp)

Quick Reply: Just a few questions....