New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

I'm new. About me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Default I'm new. About me.

Hey Guys(and girls?),

I'm brand new here, and to the motorcycle scene, I'm a 19 year old Auto Mechanic, I'm facinated with machines, and while I've been jonesin' for a motorcycle for at least 3 years now, I'm only just getting to where I trust myself not to do something crazy and smear myself into the asphault on my first ride. I've recently decided to get a motorcycle. While a Ninja wasn't my first choice I decided that as far as starter bikes go the ninja 500 seems to be the "only choice". I plan to get a "gently used" ninja sometime this month, and since I'm a little late into the motorcycle season I'll spend the winter paying it off and hopefully learning the mechanics of it inside and out, maybe modifying? with the aide of my genius brother, who currently owns a Yamaha YZF 600.

So, hopefully this forum will provide me with a resorce for learning and discussion, I've checked out the Sight 'n Sound forum, the video posts there are sure to keep me aware of my mortality

Thanks for reading,
Caveman

P.s. my name is Evan.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Default RE: I'm new. About me.

Welome to the forum[sm=welcomesign.gif] So it wasnt real clear, did you get a bike or are you still looking. Either way congrats on choosing a Kaw!! A 636 makes a great starter bike

Old 07-01-2005, 01:07 AM

oohh.. Still shopping! Thanks, I'll check out the 636 right NOW!

Old 07-01-2005, 04:00 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum!! I think the 500 is a good choice to learn on, and that is what my wife chose, I on the other hand didn't have that much restraint as I chose the 636 [8D] either way, if you have the dicipline to stay within your experience level, either of these bike will do you good.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:24 AM

Welcome. YES there are girls on this site, and thanks for thinking to include us! LOL I started with a 600 (ZX-6) and have been happy with it. It's got enough power that I'm not bored, but more power than I'll be using in the near future.

Good luck with the search. It took me two months to find mine, and I bought back in March.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

hey caveman, welcome to the forum. i hope you get that 500. it's a great bike to start out with. and it's good you know your way around a motor. it will save you alot of money in the future. ride safe and enjoy the bike. oh and gear up.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:32 AM

RE: MAD KAW - "oh and gear up. "

Amen. I've done at least as much searching for some good riding equip. As I have for a good bike, I get the idea that this forum is gung-ho kawasaki, but I figgure I'll ask anyway, What do you guys think of the Honda CBR600/CBR6004ti? I'm loving the look, the digital dash features... and reviews seem to put it a notch above the rest... but has anyone had any expierince with it? someone said the inframe(?) exhaust heats the seat after a while... true/false? don't worry I'm still shopping for the 500.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Caveman

RE: MAD KAW - "oh and gear up. "

Amen. I've done at least as much searching for some good riding equip. As I have for a good bike, I get the idea that this forum is gung-ho kawasaki, but I figgure I'll ask anyway, What do you guys think of the Honda CBR600/CBR6004ti? I'm loving the look, the digital dash features... and reviews seem to put it a notch above the rest... but has anyone had any expierince with it? someone said the inframe(?) exhaust heats the seat after a while... true/false? don't worry I'm still shopping for the 500.
I have heard that some of the undertail exhausts do get a little warm on long rides. My (now) ex-bf test-rode one when we were looking for my bike in the Spring. He didn't like the ergonomics of the bike. As far as digital dash .. . I can fully recommend the Yamaha R6. If I wasn't so damn short, I'd have bought one immediately, but I didn't want to have to lower it before I could ride it home. Too much like work, hahah. Good luck with your choices.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forums!!

I wouldn't suggest the 636 for a starter bike. that bike has just as much snap as the bigger liter bikes..
the 500 would be a great starter bike cheep and if you drop it you wont be a pissed as drooping a new 636..
make sure you include gear when purchasing your bike !!

Old 07-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums Evan! As Violet Vixen said, there are a few girls here (myself included). I think that you have made a great choice in starting out with the 500. I bought one back in December and got my license this past May. The 500's are awesome! I dropped mine in a parking lot the first time I had it out, nothing broke, just a few scratches. The other thing with them is that they are quite inexpensive compared to other bikes and you'll get just as much of a thrill out of riding it as any other bike. They are an excellent bike to start out on in my opinion and I think you'll really enjoy it!