New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

I COULD JUST SCREAM

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Default I COULD JUST SCREAM

I am just looking for feedback, advice, peptalk....who knows. Some of my family and a few friends are really guilting me over the new motorcycle! This is something I have always wanted to do. My dad rode when I was growing up and it is just what I want to do. I KNOW IT IS DANGEROUS! I am so tired of hearing that i am crazy, selfish, don't care about my children, etc. My husband has rode motorcycles since he was like 5 years old. Last Friday he went to the cycle shop and bought me a new 05 Ninja 250...great little starter bike! My mother and others in my life are giving him hell as well. In a nutshell my mother is making me feel like a bad mother to my kids because "i am being irresponsible" and "selfish". She did not act like this when it was me climbing on the back of the R1 with my husband???? The way I see it...you have to worry more about cars not paying attention to you or respecting you on the road. I tried to explain to her that I could be taken out by a car just as easy on the back of his as I could be on mine. That is true!! Someone could hit us while on his bike just as they could me on mine.

It is very frustrating. I am soooo excited about this bike and so many people are trying to discourage me from this.

I guess I just needed to vent...

On a lighter note...I went out for my second ride last night. We went to what used to be a shopping mall, now vacant, and I had plenty of riding room to practice turns, curves, braking, etc. It was a blast! I am taking the Safety Class in August. I should get plenty of ride time in before that. My husband is soooo good and very patient with me. He is very encouraging and has taught me so much that it is unreal. I can drive a manual extremely well so that definitely helped me because shifting came really easy. What got me to start with was having two brakes!

Old 07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Default RE: I COULD JUST SCREAM

I know what you mean... Well, at least maybe half of it, as I don't have any kids. Most of those around me looked at me asking why I'd want to do something so dangerous. The way I see it, yes, you are taking on some additional inherent risk that you obviously don't have in a car, but beyond that it's up to you to decide how much risk you actually put yourself in. If you ride responsibly, i.e.

ALWAYS wear proper gear, yes, even to the store down the street!
-Helmet
-Jacket
-Gloves
-Boots w/ankle support
-Some sort of decent leg-covering (some say jeans are okay, but I've seen how little protection they provide)

Know what your limits are
Ride within your limits
DON'T start on a liter bike (250 is a GREAT choice!)
Take the saftey course (I had a couple of guys in my class that had been riding for years, but wanted a refresher, they always learn something)
Be aware of the situation around you
Ride paranoid... You're invisible to drivers, yet they are out to hit you
Keep the extreme riding off the streets
Learn to ride as far away from traffic as possible - Back-roads and parking lots until you can ride the bike w/o thinking
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE - Never stop learning

By doing these things I actually feel SAFER on my bike than I do in my car, mainly because I'm paying more attention to the situation around me. In my car I've gotten a false sense of security, and have been in multiple accidents that weren't my fault but could have been EASILY avoided had I been paying more attention.

So in the end, it's all up to you. You ARE in control. More than being a passenger for sure. YOU choose how much risk you're willing to accept. YOU choose what situations to put yourself in. So, if you're a responsible person, which it sounds like you are, you'll keep your children in mind whenever you make your decisions... and BIG kudos to your husband for starting you on a 250.

To give you some perspective/contrast, I've got a friend that started riding right about when I did (about a month and a half ago). He drives a car like a maniac. He bought a liter bike because he "likes to go fast". He only signed up for the MSF course because I told him to. He's got a 1 year old daughter. He's gotten pulled over 3 times, and has gotten 1 speeding ticket already. _THAT_ is irresponsible.

It's all up to you.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:40 PM

what ever you do dont listen to them its your life do what you want as far as getting hurt on a bike i found it is for the most part rider error that gets you hurt im 27 and been riding sence i was 10 i had one accident in all my years riding and it was my fault i was going to fast with a front tire i new was bad and i went over a steel bridge and blew the tire at 180 kms it hurt thats the truth but im up riding again with no problem i didnt break any bones and the only thing i had on for saftey was a helmet

Old 07-29-2005, 07:44 PM

I think you may have my mother!!!! She said the same thing to me when I got my first bike. They get over it, believe me (after about 2 yrs, LOL).The funny thing is my very first bike was a CM 450 that outweighs my ninja by about 150lbs, and b/c it looks more like a cruiser she said nothing. She's scared to death of the ninja! I love how people who have never been on the back of a bike say they are dangerous. They are only as dangerous as YOU make them. She felt much better when I MADE her follow me on my bike to see how I ride. Maybe you should try the same? Good luck and be careful

[IMG]local://upfiles/415/C276F9C79C5A4CA6BC78C7B7A8F47C32.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2005, 09:20 PM

hahaha I got that too from everyone when they heard we got motorcycles. They kept saying how dangerous they are and how I'm gonna this, and gonna that......Do what makes you feel happy and if they don't understand that then.....turn that selective listening switch on and crank up the sensitivity on it!! Kudo's for you signing up for the safety course! I'm amazed at how people don't think they need this course!! Then they go to message boards and post on how much this A$$hole almost wiped them out when they were at fault or could have prevented the hole thing themself. Remember to gear up and ride safe.....and have fun!!

Old 07-30-2005, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome tiny.
Hey its just human nature to lash out or disagree with what they do not understand. They wont ever understand either until they have thrown a leg over a bike. Also your not being a bad mom either that’s just ridiculous.
Just don't forget to gear up like it Greg posted. I would not be here if not for the gear.
Have fun ridding with your husband and tell him good choice on the 1.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:07 PM

Don't let them put you down about it, just keep riding and enjoying it.
I had the same situation with everyone trying to tell me i'll kill or paralyze myself or something like that but if you get the good gear and wear it all the time and be aware of the traffic you'll be fine just be carful of gravel thats how i came off.
cheers

Old 07-30-2005, 04:20 PM

Thanks everyone for all the support. Yesterday I just felt like putting a for sale sign in it in the front yard. I will just try to turn on my "female selective hearing" and just keep riding. I do gear up every time I am on a bike at all. Here is KY you don't have to wear a helmet...STUPID!!! They just airlifted a guy out of here Thursday night who had no helmet on. It happened just about 2 blocks from my house. Major head injury. Very, very sad. Then just 3 weeks ago a guy on an R6 was running from the police WITH A CHIC ON THE BACK....a truck pulled out on front of him off a side street and ....SMACK! The witnesses said that they were doing a high rate of speed on one wheel. They had helmets on and they both lived. She was beat up pretty bad. They are both out of the hospital now.

Thanks again for the response!!!!

Old 08-01-2005, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

well what can i say everyone has pretty much said it all. if riding is a passion and it's in your blood. then just ride. it doesn't make you a bad mother or irresponsible, your just doing something you love to do. it should also teach your kids something too. "if theres something they want to do in life, let them go out and do it. don't let anyone tell them no or bring them down." so welcome to the world of 2 wheels. it's a wonderful place to be in. ride same and gear up.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hey! Like everyone else said, if it is something you want to do, go out and do it!!! Sounds like you and I are in a similar boat. My mom isn't too keen on me riding a bike but then again, she'll hop right on the back of my dad's. I don't get anyone guilt tripping me about it, except for my in-laws, but its real easy to ignore them! Everytime I get on my bike, I remind myself that I have a three year old daughter that I want to see grow up and have her own family one day, it kind of helps me to keep the speed down and be extra cautious. The way I see it, just because you are a mother doesn't mean you have to sit around looking after everyone else, you need to have something that you enjoy!

Quick Reply: I COULD JUST SCREAM