New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hopefully Buying My First Bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Default Hopefully Buying My First Bike!!!

Hey everyone! I'm really excited to find so much biking support at one forum. I've never actually even ridden on a motorcycle, let alone drive one, but I'm very close to purchasing an 04 ex500d w/ just under 12000 miles and needing no repairs for hopefully just under $2000. What is everyone's thoughts on this being my starter bike? I'm 5'9 and bout 155. How about the price? I think that I'm getting a steal, but I haven't seen it in person yet. The funny thing is that it's the cheapest 500 that I found on craigslist in my area, and it happened to be from the very small town that I'm from. Anyway, I would really appreciate any advice on what to look for when I check it out, a decent negotiation start point (i was thinking $1500), and some info on the bike itself from those who've experienced riding it. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-05-2009, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the KF Family!!! That's not a bad price for the 500...make sure you take somebody with you that knows motorcycles...your height and weight are fine for that bike...you even have room to grow Don't forget to gear up and look into taking the MSF Basic Riders Course...

Old 07-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on, the 500 is a good ride. I picked up an 05 last yr with some scrapes. Good bike so far. Welcome to KF.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

j, welcome to KF. I agree with Odi; take someone with you so you don't miss details. Look for the steering stops on the headstock, look at the oil, check the forks for straightness, chain and sprockets for wear, tires (will tell you alot), drips, leaks, cleanliness of the bike, hacked up wiring/aftermarket stupid crap, how easy does it start, idle sound/noises, crispness of throttle response, any dents or dings in the lower headstock and front of headers from wheelies, etc., brake fluid--fresh and clean or brown and nasty, why is he getting rid of it? Look for obvious abuse.
Those are some of the things I look for when I consider buying a bike. As for model-specific issues, maybe some of the other folks can help.
Welcome aboard. It sounds like a good deal, but be wary. There will be another, if this one doesn't work out. Gear up and stay safe.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

You could do a lot worse, but you could do better. A year on a 250, by the end of which you'll be able to ride it flat out on the road in everyday riding, will teach you a lot more than you'll learn from having to constantly restrain the performance of your bike - even of a relatively modest 500.

Rob

Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I would have a tendacy to get a ZX-14 for my first bike if I was a new rider. You would learn the doo's and dont's really fast that way................Just kidding!
But seriously, william is correct in what he's telling you. The 250 is one of the best bikes around to learn on. You can run it's *** off and still stay within your skill level once your riding skills are becoming second nature.
But until your skills become second nature, a 500 can get you in trouble. Then too, it all depends on your ability to maintain self control. Some people have it, and some dont.
So, if you are crazy, and have the soul of a squidd, get the 250. But if you are a very disciplined person, you may be OK on the 500. Only you can know this!

Go forth and ride safely my son!

The Worlok

Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

A very warm welcome to you. Have fun, stay safe and stick around and share.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

congrats on getting your first bike. I suggest taking the MSF Basic Riders Course. Its required for us military but it made me understand and become a totally better rider.

Quick Reply: Hopefully Buying My First Bike!!!