New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi! new here

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Default Hi! new here

Hi guys! I am darcy and i don't own a bike.but planning to get one soon.cant decide which one to purchase.any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Darcy....my best friends wife is Darcy and she's looking for a bike too....ok lets not call Ripley's just yet..LOL Welcome to the forums. Have you looked at the KLX? I'm just saying.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF darcy. A little more info on what you would be using the ride for may help as well. lol.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Welcome, hope you find a bike you love.

This is a great place to get food for thought on a bike purchase... as long as it comes in a variety of green Good things to mention for helpful feedback on your bike question
1 what kind of riding do you plan to do (off road, dual sport, race track, touring, around the farm or around the neighborhood, do you want to drive 2 states away... or just an hour away)
2. What kind of bike experience do you have. If you are a beginner, buying a beginner friendly bike can not only help you learn faster and better, it can save your life.
3. Price range you're shopping in, you can get a fabulous BMW for 12K with abs, heated grips and lots of do-dads to brag about in the McD's parking lot, but it's gonna cost you a pretty penny and 97% of the girls will see it the same way they see a moped... cute or not cute.
4. How tall you are (comfort and fit issues)
5. Do you already have friends on bikes that you plan on riding with, if so what/where do they ride chances are if you have some riding buddies all lined up, you're going to want something that matches their riding environment at least a little.

A bit of general advice

Bikes, like cars are all made specific to a kind of driving and function, except bikes reach a far wider range of environments than your average cars do and are usually much more specific in nature and feel, so picking the right bike for your needs is one of the most important parts of enjoying and getting the most use out of your purchase.

Sit on a bunch of bikes, see what you fit and feel comfortable on. If you have friends that ride already, sit on their bikes for a while with your feet on the pegs, if you know how to ride, borrow them for a trip around the block or two.

I'm partial to the KLX 250 because I like off-road style and ability (not a fan of crouched seating positions) I also like something light weight enough to actual use off road, and by me the trails are tight and wooded so maneuverable is a huge bonus ... but if i wanted to take a weekend with the wife 2 states away... this is about the worst bike I could possibly pick.

Dont get caught up in a style and try to make it fit your needs, unless you're style preference (eg street cruiser) matches your riding preference (casual street riding not further than 200 miles a day) find something in your riding preference and dont settle for any bike you can get your hands on unless you really view it as a learning bike and dont mind selling it later to get what fits your needs

As you can tell, I'm pretty practical when it comes to stuff, but on my budget, I like to get the most for my effort and investment that's all I got. Best of luck, when you find it, keep it rubber side down!