New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi guys, n00b here. Info appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Default Hi guys, n00b here. Info appreciated.

Would just like to introduce myself, my name is mike im 21 and just purchased my first bike. Its an 89 Ninja 600R, with an exhaust. 30k miles, runs good as new. Its blue and black. Im in the process of painting the plastics and tank a metallic blue, and the wheels white. Doesnt look to be ever dropped.

Im a big noob since this is my first bike. Im looking into getting a nice exhaust for it (not full, just a pipe and muffler), and a drop in the front. Seems like it would ride a bit more comfortably that way, and look better. If you guys know where I could find these items, point me in the right direction. I dont want to put tons of money into because I only paid $750 for it and dont plan on having it over a year. Just want to be happy riding it until I get a newer bike next summer. Also, do you guys all use radar detectors? I have one in my car (484hp sti) but dont know how you guys go about doing that on a bike. Also, any of you listen to ipod/radio in your helmet? If so, how? And the biggest noob Q of all, what does jetted mean?

Thanks and sorry for the noob Qs, look forward to learning and meeting you all.
Mike

Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hi guys, n00b here. Info appreciated.

Welcome Mike.
Once you dial that ride in this year, you may be hesitant in getting rid of it.
Congrats on the ride.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF! There are a lot of slip ons available for your bike they new average $250-$300. I don't know what people do for radar detectors but a lot of riders do use there Ipod in the helmet or if you get a chatterbox you can plug your phone, and radio into it along with being able to talk to other riders that use chatterbox. And "jetted" refers to the jets being replaced in a carburetor. People do this for many reasons but it is to change fuel air mixture especially after upgrading an exhaust system. A aftermarket exhast will typically increase airflow because it is not as restrictive so people will richen up their bikes by replacing the jets. Hope that helps.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 AM

Thank you. Im pretty inexperienced with carbuerated, that may be why I didnt know what jetted was. How careful do you have to be when choosing an exhaust? Will the air fuel suffer alot with jetting it? Dont want any detonation going on in there or 12k+ rev explosions[:@]

Dragone, you may be right about being hesitant in getting rid of it, but I for sure atleast know I will be buying a newer, fuel injected model next summer. If I dont keep this one, I would just sell it to a friend so its still close. Its in really good condition IMO for an 89.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 AM

Hi Mike,

I'm a new rider, I just started riding about 6 weeks ago so I can't help too much other than to say that I swear I saw something on the web, probably somewhere in this forum about where a good place to mount a radar detector on your bike is. Take a search through some of the posts in here and you might find more information.

Good Luck with the bike.

Chris

Old 10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 AM

thanks for the welcome guys. seems like I picked the right forum.

anyone know how to lower the front? its hard to find parts for an 89, or im just looking in the wrong places.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, lots of fun here!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:59 PM

SCORE!!! another Ninja 600r...mine is a 91 and I just got it too, and there are a lot of things out there you can get, you just have to dig for the prices. I am in the process of trying to take my carb off and work on it, but its harder than it seems. Anyways, welcome, enjoy the ride, once you get rid of your bike you will want it back, so just do yourself a favor and keep it!

Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 AM

Welcome to the KF Family ,Ebay is a place to search , also Craigs List. Good Luck and welcome.

Quick Reply: Hi guys, n00b here. Info appreciated.