New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi All!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Default Hi All!

Searching sprockets and came upon this COOL SITE so, read a few threads, great forum, so wanted to join.

“Brief” biography of my first Kawasaki.

Early July, '07, looking at local dealers in N. FL. to get a KLX250S. Can't find a price happy with. Search I-net for area Kawasaki dealers in S. GA. For some reason Beartooth Kawasaki pops up from Redlodge, Montana. Advertises only OTD prices. Would save over one grand even after paying taxes. Joke to wife, "Me fly Montana, ride Kaw back!"

Following Monday, joke words of same thoughts w/4 weeks vacate to supervisor with smile. 2 weeks pass, think no else. Supervisor, “You take trip, no worth dung here!”

Air to Billings, $199. Beartooth pick me up at airport, 60 miles away, no charge!!
Gasoline back to Florida, $300.

19 states, 6,335 miles, 25 days on the road. 4 nites in a bed, (Two in Torrey, Utah, exploring, WOW!); 20 nites tent camping. One nite front yard in Belgrade, Montana of person fixing seat and making me some soft luggage, THANKS PAUL, free; One nite at Alexander Reservoir in Soda Springs, Idaho, (next to NO CAMPING SIGN after local police and game warden told me where to camp!) free; One in Gunnison, Utah Cemetery, free; One on side of road outside Buffalo, Oklahoma, free ; One nite in State Park in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, free; Rest of camping in Private, Fed or St. Parks, EXPENSIVE! 3 with NO facilities!
2 longest days on the road; 450 miles and 598 miles. Average speed, 45-50mph with an average 65 miles per gallon.
Would I do again? YES! Me love bike? YES! Now just past 15,000 miles.

P.S. The KLX had to really rev to make the last hairpin climb up Pike’s Peak with sea level jetting!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

you just put deej to shame welcome to the forums

Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks jrock and evil.

It is a great bike. 15,000 miles and it has not even seaped a single bit of oil anywhere. I have never had to add a drop between oil changes. Wish I could say the same for my BMW!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

dude thats amazing,, I would love to do something like that

Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF. iron butt riding fo sho!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM

Thanks Hoedogg!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not worthy!!! I'm not worthy!!! Great story, welcome to the forums man.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Thanks Deej!

I do not know what Evil speaks of, but I am sure yours must have been a great ride/rides anyhow. Tell me about it. Or . . . Link?

3 worst parts of my trip:

1. Missing my granddaughter who had just started walking before I left.

2. River crossing outside of Redlodge MT when the bottom dissappeared and I got washed down the rapids about 20 feet before getting wedged on a boulder. Had to drain all the orifices on the riverbank in the rain. What a great little tool kit! Let the water run out of the engine till oil appeared and quickly put plug back in. Pulled spark plug and pumped water out of cylinder. Drained carb bowl, cleaner box and muffler. She fired right up. Back to Beartooth Kawasaki in Redlodgefor a filter and oil. When they learned what happened, they drained the oil, flushed motor with an extra coart of oil, replaced filter & oil and adjusted and lubed chain. NO CHARGE! Thanks Larry & Toby!

3. A guy in a service truck backed into the KLX while parked and knocked a hole in the water pump cover while taking pictures of prairie dogs in Cortez, Colorado. Local Honda/Kawasaki dealer Mesa Verde Motorsports did not have one in stock and removed one from a new KLX300 on the showroom floor. THANKS DAVE!

Always an adventure. Rest of trip, PRICELESS!

Marty

Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow marty sounds interesting,, Oh and evil is speaking about Deej our major KLX guy,, Who just went on a big trip up in Canada I think,, but your trip is amazing. Im so Glad you shared that with us.. Thanks agian marty...

Oh and double Wow on the rapids and getting hit by a truck,, least your ok and live to tell about your amazing adventure

Quick Reply: Hi All!