New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hey everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Default Hey everyone!

Hey guys, the name's Adam. I'm new to the street bike scene - I just bought a black 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R about 3 weeks ago.
I just purchased a carbon fiber Puig windscreen for her (first mod yey). I was thinking about changing my wheels too, but I thought I'd get all of your opinion first.
When I took it in to get the 600 mile oil change there was a bike like mine that had just been traded in. He taped off the inner lip around where the spokes are and used paint remover on the outside of the lip, polished it etc so there was a black ring in the middle and chrome on the outside. Imo it looked pretty sweet ~

Anyways, glad to be a part of KF!

[IMG]local://upfiles/7211/766F687604674F76959BF99325D906C2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Hey everyone!

Oh ya, here is a hilarious story for you guys. I bought it brand new from American Motorsports in Nashville.. I drove it 30 minutes home to Murfreesboro and I took it over to a buddies to show him. He asked if he could drive it - I said no way. But after he begged I allowed him to sit on it. That was a HUGE mistake. So he sits on it for a minute or two and everythings fine.. That is until he tries to get off of it. What does the idiot do? He leans the bike over to the right (because that's "where the thought the kickstand was") and knocks it on the ground and scratched it up pretty nice.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't call that hilarious, I'd be pissed off and make his *** repaint it! Congratulations on the bike. It's a beautiful ride. Welcome to the KF family. Good choice on the black. The Kawi Green may be faster, but black is smoother, more comfortable, and more aerodynamic!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:23 AM

Ya don't get me wrong I was furious. It almost felt like a dream though. I didn't flip out or anything because it almost seemed like it wasn't real. He's loaded and offered to pay for the replacement though. I've just been so busy with work and school that I haven't had a chance to order the piece or go get it painted.

Ya black is where it's at. I like the green one too but I mean black (when kept clean) is so sexy.

By the way I've been having some detailing problems. I bought microfiber rags and honda polish to clean it with and no matter how gentle I am it leaves swirls in the paint.
I assume that's normal for black paint though? Also that raises another question. I bought a compound to get the fine scratches out and it worked like a charm. But how many times can you use that compound before it eats the paint away?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Rocket is right; you break it (scratch it, or otherwise injure it) you pay for it. That's a pretty standard rule in the bike world. If he's your friend, he should've offered to pay for it without you having to ask. Keep the squids off your bike.
BTW, welcome to the Forums.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

The compound shouldn't eat the paint away (I'm assuming you are reffering to a rubbing compound) at all. Yes, black is impossible to keep swirl marks out of. I had the same problem with my wife's Vulcan right away. The good thing is that they aren't very noticeable unless you are right up on the bike. It's just something you learn to deal with. It's a pretty sweet trade though, a few minor swirl marks for a sexy black bike. Good job. Now, I highly recommend that you take the MSF course. It's a great program that will help you a lot with handling the bike and with breaking any bad habits you may already have. If you haven't been riding at all, it will teach you proper techniques so you won't have to unlearn the bad habits. I took the course and I highly recommend it.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Ya I was thinking about taking it. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was about 4 years old - You should see the thing I learned on, lol. The wheels look like pumpkins. Anyways. I feel pretty comfortable so far. The first 5 minutes was kind of weird. The leaning was kind of hard to get used to but it's been a steady climb up hill from there.

I finally learned how to ride a wheelie recently. I always tried to power it up because that's what my bud with an r1 told me to do. It didn't work all that well. But the other day I got stuck in traffic on I24 for like 5+ miles, so I learned to get it up by popping the clutch. I know it's not a big deal but that is a freakin rush when it's your first few times doing it.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it is a rush. I remember my first wheelie like it was yesterday. Make sure that if you are riding on one wheel, you keep your right foot covering the rear brake. That way if you go too far back, you can tap the rear brake, and it will bring the nose back down.Please be careful man! Stunt riding and a lack of experience really don't go too well together. I'm not trying to say anything bad, it's just that I've seen it go horribly wrong far too many times.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 09-18-2007, 04:20 PM

Thx everyone.

Quick Reply: Hey everyone!