New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello from Oklahoma/KLR 650

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, whats your take on a magnetic oil drain plug? is it really needed?

is this the oil?
Rotella 550019913 T Triple Protection CJ 4 15W 40 Motor Oil 1 Gallon | eBay

Old 08-13-2016, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

You're welcome.
Look up youtube vids for some of your projects. There is SO much out there. For example, sometimes it's a little difficult to get the oil filter cover off. One solution is to loosen the two bolts holding the cover on a turn or two BEFORE dumping the oil. Then hit the starter button quickly (but don't start the motor, or kill it right away if it starts). The bump in oil pressure pops the cover out a little bit and makes it simple to remove. Tricks of the trade I learned reading forums.

I'm sure you can find some vids for changing shock and fork springs. Search the forums. Ask questions. Take photos and notes of disassembly.

I like wolfman gear and have their tank bags on two bikes, tail bag, saddle bag, fender bag.

Keep records of your service to support any warranty issues that may arise.

I'm a fan of magnetic oil drain plugs, but they aren't really needed. They are an indicator of problems. There's always a little fuzz on it when I take it out. If I ever see a lot more, or larger pieces, then I know something must be up.

Yes, that's the oil. I usually get it from the autozone or truck stop or walmart for about $8 to $10 less than that price.

Check your owners manual for maintenance intervals! Brake fluid and coolant are usually at two-year intervals. If you're serious about doing your own work, get an OEM shop manual and/or the Clymer manual. I see Clymer on ebay for 2008-2012, which I think should be good for your 2016.

I don't know about yours, but my air filter is a foam unit. Clean, oil, reinstall. I keep two on hand so when I'm servicing, I just put the second one in and clean and oil the dirty one for use later.

That first service may include checking bolts, etc along with oil & filter. $190 seems steep to me also, and I'd do it myself.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:58 AM

Hey guys, just a quick hello from another KLR rider. I put about 8k miles on it since I bought it, mostly gravel roads, some logging roads, unmaintained town roads, atv trails and I've had some good adventures on it including two weeks exploring Quebec Gaspe and interior NB. I also follow the ADV KLR thread, lots of good stuff there. I just bought an '07 KLX with a Dynojet kit, a FMF Q4 with stock header, and the kdx 200 snorkle.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks again IDRIDR! I ordered a Clymer book for my Bike and just for the heck of it a magnetic drain plug. I also checked with Autozone here and yea, a lot cheaper on the oil. I would have never thought using Diesel oil would be a good choice but have read a lot of riders prefer this. I always use the K&Ns on all my vehicles and Bikes. Yes its a foam air filter as well. I'm thinking later on of replacing the weak sounding stock exhaust pipe. lots of choices for sure. The seat seems to be allrite but time will tell on that,ive replaced all my HD seats.

what radiator fluid do the KLRs use?

Tom,

Last edited by Mercyfulfate1777; 08-14-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dmottv
Hey guys, just a quick hello from another KLR rider. I put about 8k miles on it since I bought it, mostly gravel roads, some logging roads, unmaintained town roads, atv trails and I've had some good adventures on it including two weeks exploring Quebec Gaspe and interior NB. I also follow the ADV KLR thread, lots of good stuff there. I just bought an '07 KLX with a Dynojet kit, a FMF Q4 with stock header, and the kdx 200 snorkle.
Hello, what year is your KLR? would love to see it!!

Old 08-14-2016, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mercyfulfate1777
what radiator fluid do the KLRs use?
Check your manual. I think one of the most important characteristics is low silica. The very tight tolerances in the water pump/oil seal can be damaged by high silica coolant.

Originally Posted by Dmottv
Welcome aboard. Adding a KLX to the stable is a nice compliment to the KLR and your other bikes.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mercyfulfate1777
Hello, what year is your KLR? would love to see it!!
It's an '07 red and silver with a bunch of mods. I'll post up pics.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Welcome aboard. Adding a KLX to the stable is a nice compliment to the KLR and your other bikes.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to putting some miles on the KLX!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

So Mercy, we've talked about preload and spring weight. Now also consider damping adjustments. It should be something you should experiment. Post 7 of this thread explains it. Rear Suspension setting? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
So Mercy, we've talked about preload and spring weight. Now also consider damping adjustments. It should be something you should experiment. Post 7 of this thread explains it. Rear Suspension setting? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
That was a good read for sure! Thanks for posting that. sorry for the late reply, been doing a lot of working.

I saw this oil (Valvoline) and since I use Valvoline I thought this may be a good oil for the KLR? Valvoline/1 qt. SAE 10W-40 motorcycle oil 798151- ReadReviews onValvoline #798151

In my climate 35-105 degrees this would be a good one if this is the right stuff? 4 stroke 10w-40 it has the API SF/SG/SJ, JASO MA2 etc in it. as you mentioned as long as it says motorcycle oil it is good?

Last edited by Mercyfulfate1777; 08-20-2016 at 02:10 AM.