New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Eight Fingers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Eight Fingers

we would tell but then we would have to kill ya[sm=badbadbad.gif]
ORIGINAL: EightFingers

Whats is PWI?

Old 09-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

+1 Oh and welcome to the crazy house.[sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

Old 09-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

welcome to kf

Old 09-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

Ok well heres the story. I have 8 fingers, 3 on my laft hand. Pretty much from the outside of my middle finger down to my wrist is cut off. Extreme nerve damage, so just about anything hurts it. But pretty much I like conquering anything I cant do so I bought a bike. It didnt help that 2 of my good friends got bikes within a week also But I rode today for about a half hour -45 minutes(for the first time,ever) and it was throbbing. I have a 97 ninja 500. I heard heavy bar ends will help with vibration and maybe gel grips. Any recomendations or information. A closer clutch lever would also help.

Thanks Guys,

EightFingers
why not use your hand when you need it and dont keep it on the bar when your riding ? if im understanding it right, you still have a middle finger, pointer and thumb ? a guy i know is in the same situation with missing fingers and riding only he has very limited movement of his middle finger so its all on his pointer. i will ask Skip to read this and mabey chime in being he can help more.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Just thinking about Mick Doohan (GP racer.) He had "problems" with his throttle hand, if memory serves me. He configured a front brake lever on the left clip-on, similar to a throttle paddle on a 4-wheeler. Couldn't you maybe configure a "paddle" type clutch lever on the right clip-on, or maybean air shifter in the horn button (on the left) at least to help lessen the amount of grippingnormally done?
If it's an issue of pressure against the "heel" area of your hand, is there a gel insert or memory foam insert you could put into your riding glove? Maybe check with a local orthopedic shop to see what they could create.
(I worked with developmentally impaired people for about 18 years. There's a way; there's always a way!)
Just some suggestions.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome 8. Passed a guy about a month ago and I gave him a wave. He returned with an aloha sign. The closer I looked he had a few missing also. So where there's a will there's a way.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:13 AM

I can pull the clutch lever pretty well when im riding, but if im just sitting on the bike its harder. Not to sure why but ... no need to rig anything up most likely a whole lever will help a little bent since the PO dropped it and its a little broken off. Thanks for trying to help tho

Old 09-08-2007, 04:15 AM

Also Whats up to everyone who said hi. sorry havent really been on the computer lately.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Same stuff Eight. My woes are in the 10 section and the debate section of off topic. How is the ride coming along for ya?

Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Also Whats up to everyone who said hi. sorry havent really been on the computer lately.
Waiting for 4:30am so I can jump in the truck, drive 3 hours so I can ride for 5 hours and then drive 3 hrs back home and collapse.

Name:  P9073102.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  98.8 KB

Quick Reply: Eight Fingers