New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Clunking Noise when decelerating and accelerating

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Clunking Noise when decelerating and accelerating

Hey guys. thanks alot for the quick responses.. I was very impressed, i figured this would be like facebook or something and would have to wait a few days. very very impressed.. Im going right now to go grab some oil from the store, and then i'll take it in to get it serviced... thanks again for the help and i'll let you know how it goes!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 AM

ok. heres whats happening.. i just got back from the store and i put a quart of Castrol 20W 50 4 stroke engine oil in my bike. while i was putting the oil in i checked the chain. it still seems to have plenty of lube on it, but i think... i think it has like 2.5 to 3 inches of play.. (i think) by play, i mean, from the lowest spot it hangs to the highest spot it hangs... is that how you measure that? and if that really is. then how can i tighten it? or do i just have to take it somewhere to have it tightened.. also, im pretty sure that the chain, because its hanging so low, i think its hitting my kickstand. not the regular one, but the one that you use when your working on the bike, the one thats harder to put down, im sorry i feel like a moron not knowing what all the terms are and stuff, but i guess that'll come with time.

Thanks again!
Jordan

Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

haha, its cool. we all have to start somewhere.

and with the chain, yeah thats the right way to measure it. to tighten it all you have to do is loosen the bolts holding the rear wheel in place and pull the wheel back a bit til the chain is where you want it and tighten it back up. all you really need is some sockets.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

IS that play with you sitting on it? And welcome to KF.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 AM

no that play i measured my self, but i did notice that it does sag down a little more when i do sit on it. that IS supposed to happen right?

and thank you slaughter king! i'll be doing that first thing in the morning!!

we'll see how it goes!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I do not have the manual for your ride, look up the specs for the chain and do not overtighten!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow that sounds like alot of play![&:]find out what your bike requires as far as amount of slack,

Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

for the chain, there should be marks on the swing arm where the axle passes through, make sure your marks are even and the axle is equally adjusted, there should also be some sort of adjustment stopsthat need to be tight against the axle block. its not as simple as just loosening the rear wheel and pulling it back. and the harder of the two kickstands can also be refered to as the service stand, lucky for you, you wont need a rear stand.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the KF family. Make sure that you chain is adjusted equally on both sides, or it's going to be an unsafe ride.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrmcfly500r

ok. heres whats happening.. i just got back from the store and i put a quart of Castrol 20W 50 4 stroke engine oil in my bike.
I would alsodouble check for the right engine oil- if I used this in my street bike my chutch might start slipping does the 500r have a wet clutch? when I first bought my street bike years ago.... the teeth on the rear sprocket where flat and the chain would jump every now and then.

where are you? Keep the rubber side down! best of luck and welcome to the boards

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking Noise when decelerating and accelerating