New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Back to where i began!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Back to where i began!

No there was really no response in the 6 section. Its project number 7 of 7 projects so i will probably have to put it on the backburner for now. Keep me posted if you see anything. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Jar, I'm confused. When I got my bike from the salvage yard, it had a salvage titled (frame still had a VIN plate.) I kept track of every nut, bolt, dollar, and cent I put into it to get it roadworthy. I took the bike and all of my documents (salvage title, receipts, etc.) to the area Ohio State Patrol inspection post. They went over it (with a fine toothed comb) and approved it for licensing. It's the same bike I ride today.
If you have a salvage title (assuming your frame has a VIN stamp,) and keep track of your parts/receipts, etc., couldn't you do the same thing? If your frame has no VIN, it can't have a "title."If it HAS a VIN, and has a salvage title, you should be able to get the bike licensed. Just fix it up and get it inspected. (Is there a law in Illinois that prevents this?)

Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Maybe IL has different laws on salvaged bikes. Don't know on that one, and I don't know anything about the bike, but first of all welcome to the forums, I'm sure there will be an answer to you question soon. Second, what kind of friend throws a crappy bike at you and say "shut up" I would say you need to find a new friend. JMO That's why I don't borrow money from a friend and I always act broke when they ask it from me.........ah who am I kidding, I am broke, its not an act.[8D]

Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to kf

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Yes. Bike has the original Vin stamped and it does come up clear since i had it run by the state. In Illinois terms it come back clear no record, which usually means it was kicked out of the system after so many years of not being registered here OR that it was registered in a different state and not registered for a significant period. I remembered a while back that my friend said it was a salvage out of state title but when he gave it to me he said yeah yeah i got the clean title somewher i just have to find it(i know need new friends!). Here in Illinois a few years back you were able to buy an out of state bike ,salvage titled etc.. and just have it re-registered in Illinois to get a clean title. That has changed now and you can no longer register a salvage bike and get a clean title NOR can you title and plate it for street use. Also i do not know any of the previous owners info so i cannot even apply for anything at all. What i do know is that at least itsNOT stolen which i would put it back on my friends doorstep and set it on fire! Thats my main concern and i guess i will just have to wait and search for a frame. Keep your eyes open for me guys and appreciate the love here! Again havent taken pics of the actual bike yet so when i do i will post and get your opinions on what to do. Like i said before maybe a streetfigher since its pretty stripped down?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome back to the world of Kawis, and welcome to the KF family.

Vic

Old 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome back to the world of Kawis, and welcome to the KF family.

Vic

Old 09-08-2007, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Vic you are such a double-poster....