Lightning Fast by Speedracer138

SportRider letter to the editor re: Dual Headlight kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default SportRider letter to the editor re: Dual Headlight kit

My kits got mentioned in SportRider Magazine.

This is what one of my customers wrote in to them:

Q: "I am wondering why some of these sportbikes that have dual headlamps only use one headlamp for low beams? It seems that everything about riding leans toward safety, yet these bikes are sold with two headlamps, utilizing only one for low beams. Why not both? I have an 05 ZX10R that I modified with a dual-headlight kit that gives me two low beams and two high's with upgraded bulbs. This setup makes a huge difference in visibility. Automobiles use both head-lights, not just one for lows. Why are bikes different?"
Jason Padilla, Albuquerque, NM. (One of my customers )

A: "The reason is because many manufacturers have moved to the brighter, more efficient H9 bulbs, which use a single filament. Headlamps that are able to switch from low to high beam with the same bulb use the older H4 design, which has two filaments. Making a reflector to work with botha high and low beam requiresdesign compromisesto accomodate both. Because the reflector plays a huge role in the beam pattern that lights up the area in front of the bike. If the reflector can't spread the beampattern properly, then you end up with a patchy light pattern that's often worse than before(in a basic sense, one of the reasons why attempting to retrofit an HID bulb in an H4 or H9 housing doesn't work properly). Forming seperate reflectors for high and low beam allows the manufacturers to properly desight them specifically for each beam.
The reason yo think that you now have a "hge difference in visibility" is because you're using the high beam reflector in addition to low beam with your "dual-headlight kit'" and most likely you're blinding oncoming traffic. And for your information, nearly all automobiles made today have seperate headlamps for low andhigh beam. -Ed. SR"

Well, here's my take on this:
The editor doesn't realize that these H4Xenon bulbs (stock wattage of 55/60 watt)I'm using are far brighter than the stock ones and when the low beams are on, the high beams are off and vice versa. Also, after installation of the kit,the RH high beam side reflector get adjusted down to match the low beam height so the oncoming drivers arent blinded. If adjusted correctly, there is no compromise in the beam pattern. That is how they alwaysdid it with H4 bulbs & reflectors in cars and ikesuntil just recently. Look at the older ZX6,7,9R's and the GSXR's too. Dual filament H4 bulbs in single reflectorsper side. Why couldn't they do the same?

Any input/ comments?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: SportRider letter to the editor re: Dual Headlight kit

I think your kit is bad azz. I just haven’t saved up the money to do it yet (been playing to much).

I have heard about the different patterns in the headlight bucket it self for different types of lighting. like H.I.D. vs. halogen bulbs. Is there a difference between our left side (low beam) bucket pattern vs. the right side (hi beam) bucket pattern?. I know the left has the little hat style reflector over the top of the bulb area.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

speed. write Ed a letter and put him in his place. weather he prints it or not let him know the deal. im probley blinding oncomming traffic because i havent adjusted my lights yet but ill leave it like that because ed "thinks" so.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

1+

Tell it how it is!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

well my bike has just one headlight, i think just one bulb, im thinking that its the bulb as to where it shines, not necessarily the reflectors behind it... im sure they make some difference though.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

this ' ED ' guy is full of chit

Old 08-09-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry but this pisses me off [:@]

Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

well I think you should write in and tell him what you told us...it seems everyone on here that has used your kit loves it

Old 08-11-2007, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I already replied to the Editor. I'm even going to send them a free kit to see & tryfor themselves.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 PM

I'm the one who wrote the editor with the zx 10. I think no matter what our opinions are to these editor guys we (in their eyes) will always be wrong. Anyway with the way my fairing on my o5 zx10 is designed one headlight just does not cut it! It projects a beam on one side of the road only. With the kit it projects an even and brighter beam across the road. I don't here ford, chevy, dodge, etc. saying our headlights are more advanced and efficient so lets just use one side. I say if the sportbike is sold with two headlights, the manufactures should design them to use both! On my bike this kit works!

Quick Reply: SportRider letter to the editor re: Dual Headlight kit