what is the year of my bike!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Default what is the year of my bike!?

hi. Newbie here. I have just bought a run down botched up bike. Im sure it has a KMX frame with a KX125 engine. id like to know the year of the engine at least and frame if poss but cant seem to find any numbers. I have pics of engine and frame if someone could tell by photo?? also id really like to try and road reg it, is that possible? help please.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Post some pics, mid. We always enjoy a good "name that bike" contest...
Welcome to KF. You'll get more advice than you can tolerate, here. But, hey; it's ALL FREE!!!!! Glad you're with us.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Default Pics

Sorry been away in the caravan! Ill upload the pics as soon as I find out how ! Thanks!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 AM

Most of the time the year will be just below the handle bars on the cylinder that connects the handle bars to the front forks. As for the engine I would try looking for casting numbers just below the cylinder jug

Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Hi. Yer iv looked there quickly but it doesn't seem to have the numbers, although I didn't check under side? I tried to upload photos today but there to big so ill downsize them tomorrow! Does anyone know how easy it is to road reg them from a bad state with no papers? Even just a day time thing? Cheers again

Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey Mid, from my experience getting a salvage title with my 9 (in Ohio), just make sure you keep EVERY receipt for parts, etc. You might also want to label the part receipts if it's not clear on the receipt. Organize them in a binder. I included some exploded diagrams with the parts circled which I replaced. Yes; it's kind of a PITA, but the more "logical" (i.e. brainless) you can make it for the DOT inspector, the more likely you'll get approved. If they see a clean bike and an organized binder, they'll assume you did things correctly. (Hint: you likely WILL need some kind of serial number or other identifier for the title. This protects you if/when you sell or otherwise transfer it to someone else. They can't really title a no-number bike. Heck, even go to a yard and grab a serial number plate from an identical bike, if you need to.)
My two cents. Some of the other forum members may have different/better advice.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmmmmm, my thinking is no nameplate on the steering head, no buy'ey. The engine numbers are stamped just above the clutch cover I believe.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM

hi all.

thanks for that advice jeff! after a bit of a ringing around i have found out the seller was a bit of a bean head as it has a KMX200 engine in!! so new piston and top end gasket kit and sell on i think as I'm after a 125 to just nip about on the road if i can. Is there anyone out there interested in buying or swapping? id be interested in most 125 off road style bikes. How much are these Kawasaki kmx's going for?? will get the frame number once im back in the garage. (if i can). Thanks for all this help.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:35 PM

hi, just thought id update this, found the frame number and its a 1992 kmx125 but has a kmx200 engine in still need to source year of engine. She is all running and on the mend now but any advice is still helpful as i'm trying to figure out which parts bolt where. Should these kmx200 have a separate 2stroke oil feed? and can anyone explain how the petrol tank bolts on? mine seems to have no fixing brackets. Thanks