Key Switch help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Default Key Switch help...

I currently have a street legal klx110 that I'm starting to ride alot more on the streets. Even though the bike is light enough to pick up and "run away with", I wanted to install a key switch/ignition switch onto the bike.

Has anyone done this or know how to do it?

I know of 2 guys who have tried it, but a regular xr50/cr50 key switch doesn't work as the KLX needs an open circuit and not a closed one like the others.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm I could do some research and find out, but I would bet that any key switch from an older bike would work. IT would just be a matter of getting the right wires onto it. Is the key switch to keep someone from starting it? If that's the case, why not just break a circuit and put a small toggle switch where nobody can see it. Oh and welcome to the forums. Post up a picture when you get a chance. I am curious to see the KLX street legal. What year is it, and how did you get it legal to ride on the road?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Did a search for the street legal KLX 110, and came up with a couple of interesting links. In case you haven't seen them here they are.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=508808

http://www.planetminis.com/f15/klx-1...ead-88159.html

Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by deej
Hmmmm I could do some research and find out, but I would bet that any key switch from an older bike would work. IT would just be a matter of getting the right wires onto it. Is the key switch to keep someone from starting it? If that's the case, why not just break a circuit and put a small toggle switch where nobody can see it. Oh and welcome to the forums. Post up a picture when you get a chance. I am curious to see the KLX street legal. What year is it, and how did you get it legal to ride on the road?
As far as from an older bike, one guy tried used the simple off of a 50 but said that with the bike on and the key turned to the off position and pulled out, the bike still ran. But with the bike running and key turned to the on position, the bike died. He switched the wires around but still had the same result.

I was thinking of just putting a break in one of the circuits, which I might end up doing. I just want to have a key on it for that little extra piece of mind, even tho most people could pick up the bike or roll it away pretty fast. But just so someone can't sit there and try to start up the bike.

I'll post up a picture later when I get home. It's a 2003 and registered in california. It was grandfathered into the system, so it's all legit.