Which year model to choose?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Default Which year model to choose?

Hello all

Im about to purchase an KLX 250 soon here in Indonesia second hand one.
I wanted to ask that are there significant changes in certain years like parts, shocks or any problems with certain year engines?

Reason is why im asking is that I'm going to tune it up ofcourse and was thinking if there were any changes in carbs, or so.

Thanks for helping out an Kawasaki newbie 😂
-Jeff

Old 06-19-2016, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I am not sure about Indonesia but here in the states the 2006-2007 models are more off road oriented with longer travel suspension. The later models are a bit more modern with digital dash and features like that.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not familiar with Indonesia either, but i thought everything was fuel injected there.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it should be fuel injected in Indonesia. Though someone certainly could swap it for a carb. Saw that here in Taiwan.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Both EFI and carb versions were available here in Malaysia, so presumably the same over the border?

The good news is the Indo' version is uncorked

I had the choice of going for a carb version or EFI. Logic told me to go for the carb, because it's much easier and cheaper to boost the power, easier to work on or just replace the carb.... And then I remembered that every motorcycle I've ever had, has had problems with the carb.

Too rich, too lean, flat spots, poor starting from cold, or from hot, or with throttle, or without, with worn jets, floats stuck up, or down, hard starting if the bike left more than a week, water in the carb, petrol piddling over a hot engine when you drop the bike, altitude change issues...

Urgh.

So I went for the EFI

Only had it for a couple of weeks so I can't comment on the reliability but others seem happy with them.

I wasn't familiar with the longer suspension travel of earlier models, but if that means it will be taller, and if you're the average height of an Indonesian, then you really don't want that. I'm 5'9" (176cm) and find it a bit too tall for casual riding around town. I can put my left foot or right foot down OK, but if both feet at the same time then I am on the tip of my toes.

Good luck with your search

Old 06-21-2016, 04:27 PM

Hi all

Well im an westerner living here in Indonesia and im 6"4 / 194cm Tall so thats why im going for the KLX because here in Indonesia for the price it is the best choice (in a way most booring) and as in for spareparts same drill most of the dual sport here are KLX. CRF is ridicilously expensive because of the tax and well as in for wr250r hard to find an second hand one.
They all are EFI here, but I was just thinking if you guys would have known any minor flaws or updates in certain years in engine or suspension. Seems to be I guess there is none and the engine life seems to be pretty good? Apparently Indonesia has the same bikes made also in Thailand (if im not now horribly mistaken)

Country has ****ed up tax import systems. I guess Kawasaki has juiced the goverment better than the rest in the dual sport department atleast.

And I live in Bali do this really is an dual sport paradise and cant wait to get to buy one once I find the right one. Anyway thanks for replies. Cant wait to tune it up, how you guys modded the engine? Any recommendations and any not do do list?

Thanks all

-Jeff

Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jefe13
Hi all

Well im an westerner living here in Indonesia and im 6"4 / 194cm Tall

Then you want a first gen KLX250S (06-07). It has a taller seat height, longer suspension travel and looks more like a dirt bike (although the core frame and engine are pretty much the same as the newer models).

Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by queen of spades
Then you want a first gen KLX250S (06-07). It has a taller seat height, longer suspension travel and looks more like a dirt bike (although the core frame and engine are pretty much the same as the newer models).
Unfortunately I havent yet found older models really. Oh well I can just put raisers to front and back and see how it turns out. Wr250r is slightly higher than the klx but also I rather buy a second hand anyway since I will pimp it up anyway

Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm 6'3, about 245lbs. I have a 2014. I don't mind the height. Taller would always be nice but it doesn't bother me. Unless you're a skinny 6'4" you'll look huge on the bike. But even in stock form it took care of me alright. Eventually I got the 331 big bore kit and it really did a lot for me and the bike.

We also have silly stupid import taxes in Taiwan. The KLX was the best choice for a 250 that could be slowly modified to deliver the power I needed.

There isn't much different, if anything on the newer versions. There was the shift star problem on the '09. That's all I can recall.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
There isn't much different, if anything on the newer versions. There was the shift star problem on the '09. That's all I can recall.
Just clarifying, there were significant changes from first (06=07) to second generation (09-14):
  • Plastic (including front/rear fenders, radiator shrouds, side panels and headlight shell)
  • Speedometer (second gen has a digital unit)
  • Forks (second gen has less travel and shorter overall length)
  • Shock (ditto forks)
  • Linkage pull rods (first gen: 117mm, second gen: 119mm. longer = shorter ride height)
  • Overall appearance became less like the original KLX250R/300R with the second gen KLX250S.
  • Second gen came in two colorways: lime/black and red/black

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which year model to choose?