Would you let someone test drive your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool Would you let someone test drive your bike?

Got a couple interested in my KLX. Would you guys let a prospect test ride? If so under what conditions. I know I saw some previous posts on this but couldn't find. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Cash in hand, full selling price, checked for being counterfeit. (I got one of those penlights with my last cheque order)
Try to get a sense of how they drive as they arrive. Is their vehicle a total junker? High alert.
Bike comes back in anything but the condition it left in: SOLD!

Check that the tester's DL has a valid motorcycle endorsement

I don't like strangers riding my bike, but when it's for sale ....

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 07-25-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it's a real concern any time you sell a bike, but I know I wouldn't buy a bike I couldn't ride...especially used. You need to identify the person by their ID...write it down with the DL#. If they're not a licensed operator, I'd pass. Now...if they'll let you hold actual cash money in the amount of the sale...non-counterfeit of course...who cares.

Just protect yourself as much as possible. ID the person, size them up as to the vehicle they arrived in and/or who they arrived with. Take a cell phone pic of the person, their car/license #, the car they were transported in, etc.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Every bike (dirt, dual sport, or street) I've ever sold (about 10), I've let the buyer ride it before buying if they wanted to. I've never let one ride that didn't buy, so I guess I've been convinced that they were very serious. If I had suspected in the least that they were just "lookie-lou's", there wouldn't have been any trial rides allowed. The only condition imposed was just a good gut-feel that was gained by talking with them.

Something tells me that this isn't real helpful.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Make sure your gas tank is almost empty and on reserve, Then they wont get far LOL

Old 07-26-2014, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Decide on the price first. No sense letting someone ride it if they aren't willing to pay enough for it?

Then getting the cash and buyers D/L in hand might be a good idea as well

Old 07-26-2014, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

To add to my previous post, before the question of a ride even arises there has been extensive discussion of the condition of the bike and an agreement on the price. The ride is only to confirm that I've been totally candid in describing the bike's condition.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

If they show up on a bike with proper gear, they can ride.

They have to give me their keys and their license first though.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I think if they have a valid motorcycle license and are willing to let you hold the cash then why not. If they balk at those terms, they're probably not serious or they're going to fvck-up your bike.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I think if they have a valid motorcycle license and are willing to let you hold the cash then why not. If they balk at those terms, they're probably not serious or they're going to fvck-up your bike.
The problem I have about cash in hand is this. If I go to see a bike for lets say $3000, and to test drive I must have cash in hand, but I'm only willing to pay $2300...the seller will not budge on price because he knows I'm packing 3 grand.

Why should he budge? If a prospective buyer shows up with full amount in cash I know I wouldn't negotiate much on the price...

Quick Reply: Would you let someone test drive your bike?