Wix Oil Filter - Need Feedback ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Default Wix Oil Filter - Need Feedback ASAP

Alright folks, I did an oil change last night and installed a Wix 24944 oil filter. From everything that has been discussed on filters, it has been reported that this filter is the counterpart to the stock filter. As I inspected it, though, I noticed a potentially significant difference between the two. I will see if I can describe it and then I need one or two of you knowledgeable folks to let me know if it is going to make a difference or not.

The difference has to do with the little check valve or whatever that is on the back of the filter. On the stock unit, there is a little seating surface for the spring going around the small opening. For those that use a little grease to hold the spring on, this is where the grease goes. On the Wix filter, there is no such surface because the hole itself has a much larger diameter than the stock unit. I would say that it is just under the diameter of a dime. In fact, when I put the spring on the back just to see how it was going to mate up, I noted that the spring sat directly on the entire rubber plunger or whatever that seals of the check valve.

I went ahead and installed the filter since others have reported that the Napa Gold filter (made by Wix) works fine, but now I am wondering if I should have done that. Can anyone with experience in this area weigh in on this question? So far I have only run the engine for a few seconds since the oil change. I am hesitant to run it more until I know if this filter configuration is okay or not.

Thanks for any help on this one.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wix Oil Filter - Need Feedback ASAP

Are you sure there is a check valve in the oil filiter...... i have not heard anything about this before... i would assume there isnt....as long as you line up the opening of the filter to the filter "cap" ( the part you have to take off to get to the filter) As long as thats lined up with the right side of the filter you should be fine, that spring is there just to hold the filter against the cap...

Old 02-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

And chance you could scrounge up a larger diameter spring that will be supported by the metal part of the filter? Ace hardware usually has a good selection of springs.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

And chance you could scrounge up a larger diameter spring that will be supported by the metal part of the filter? Ace hardware usually has a good selection of springs.
That wouldnt work, the spring sits in those 4 metal pieces, a bigger diameter wouldnt fit inside there...

Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good point.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 PM

As for there being a check valve in the stock filter, I don't know for sure that is what it is, but there is something that is spring-loaded. I took a pen or something and push on the opening on the stock and Wix filters. Both gave and sprung back when I removed the pressure.

Brian, if I read between the lines on your response, I am guessing that you would fall into the "better safe than sorry" camp. Is that true?

Right now I am pretty much planning to go get another filter this evening and swap it out. I think I will probably only be able to get a Fram this evening though, and I had just about decided against that. It might be good to use a Fram, though, so I can have the chance to cut one open and settle this whole cardboard endcap dispute.

Thanks all,
Chris

Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Personally I'd probaby say better safe than sorry. Oil flow is one of those things that can ruin your day if it doesn't work right. [&:]

If we were closer, I'd give you one of my Purolators but I think we're about 2 hours apart. Maybe a local dealer has a few OEM ones in stock to get you by until you can get some cheaper ones on-line?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

If it looks different, it usually is. Even the cost of a filter from the dealer is lot cheaper than internal engine damage caused by a wrong filter. I would change it to one that at least looks the same. Who knows the filter could have been packaged on a friday and maybe got put in the wrong box by mistake because it looked like the right one(I think that happened to some one with a big gun if i remember correct),or someone could have also purchased/or had an old filter lying around, bought the right one for there bike then put that one in the box and returned it. I personally would change it.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:59 AM

Good advice guys. That is what my gut was telling me, but I guess I needed a little validation. I picked up a Fram on the way home this evening and I will install it tonight or at least before I start the bike again.

While I have your ear on the topic, does anyone have any experience with Tusk First Line oil filters. The part number for the Tusk filter that fits our bike (at at least the KLX300) is TK112, which a heck of lot like the HiFlo part number (HF112) that Eric uses. The filter paper is a different color than the HF112. Rockymountainatv.com indicates that it fits the bike, and Tusk products are usually very good and very cheap, so I am inclines to buy a few. Any thoughts on who makes these filters?

Thanks, Chris

Old 02-04-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
The difference has to do with the little check valve or whatever that is on the back of the filter.
Sounds like a bypass check valve. If the filtergets totally clogged, oil will overcome the spring pressure and completely bypass the filter element. Not an ideal situation, but better than getting no lube at all.

+1 on making sure you have the right one.

Quick Reply: Wix Oil Filter - Need Feedback ASAP