Winter hyberation tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Winter hyberation tips

For those that have to park their Thumpers for a winter rest what do you do?

What are you using to treat fuel? Are you running carb out of gas or leaving bowl full of stable fuel?

Disconnect battery or leave on a tender?

Kickstand park or elevate off suspension?

Any other tips?

Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't do anything. Never have and never had a problem.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

If I can get a day or so a month to ride a bit that does the job. But on the other hand, the bikes I have to park will have been run until warmed really well, a full tank of gas, and hooked on a battery tender. I leave the gas on because that keeps the float bowl from drying out leaving junk to gum up the carb or, like the one time I did drain the gas, the float needle corroding into the body of the carb. I drain the gas when I go to start again after the lay up. Works fine.

Changing oil isn't a bad idea, but either run for a long period afterwards - a long ride, or don't start it at all, to keep out condensation. Short running time causes condensation.

The battery usually did okay over the winter, but now I put them on a battery tender on occasion while working in the garage. A timer on a charger would be a great idea, maybe 1 hr charge/day. Heard of others putting them on a garage light circuit too.

Parked on the tires/stand is no big deal nothing harmed. But a motocross stand or one of those lift stands are great because the bike takes up less room when upright.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I put mine in the corner of the garage with a full tank of gas. I do take out the battery and put them in the warm basement since my garage is unheated. No tender just a good charge after winter.

My oem Honda recon battery went 4 years. My Honda rancher battery is on its 3rd and my rzr went almost 5. Few months short.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Ad Stabil or Seafoam to gas, then top off tank. Remove battery and bring it indoors. Pluged into battery tender a few days a month or so. I get 5 to 6 years out of most of my batteries. My bike is always up on my bike jack/lift most of the time anyway. Bike lives in an 8x10 shed out in the backyard, so it's only 1 step better then being outside under a cover. Leaky roof and no glass on small window, only the screen. Been storing my bikes like this for the 11 years we're in this house. My buddie has pretty much the same setup for his old Harley. He covers it with a bed sheet, then a blue plastic tarp over that. Then he has a 40w light bulb on sitting right under the bike with an aluminum salad bowl upside down covering the light bulb from oil drips, etc. This 40watt bulb creates just enough warmth under the covers to cut condensation down a lot. Plus the cotton bed sheet absorbs moisture. Now his bike has chrome and is a lot more metal that can rust. I always spray my whole bike down with silicone after I wash it anyway. Looks good, and keeps the mud and dirt from sticking to it. Oh, I do bring my seat inside cuz mice had at a few seats on some of my bikes in the passed. I've never had start or run issues in the Spring storing this way. If for some reason you have water in your fuel, drain it, and fill with fresh gas before starting it. Last 3 or 4 years, I had long cold winters with snow on the ground over 5 months. I never opened my shed door. Bikes were fine and fired right up with no isuues.

Seams like the more you do, the more problems you have....LOL Basicly full tank with fresh gas, some additive, remove battery (if in unheated area), and that's it, done. Then start praying for Spring to come so you can ride again....