What's this wire all about?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Question What's this wire all about?

Anyone know what this 14-wire bundle is all about on the '06 KLX? I need to do some surgery and clean out some of the extra wire back here so the X2 fits better and was wondering if this one could go or is it critical?
Thanks!

Name:  DSCF6909.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  83.3 KB

Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a pdf of the wiring diagram in the reference section of Dan's website that should help you out.

http://klx250s.suncup.net/

Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, I looked at the wiring diagram and didn't really get anywhere. The thing is all wrapped up with electrical tape that I haven't removed.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe that's where the turbo plugs in

Sorry, I'm really no help though, have never dug that deep into the wiring. I took a brief look at the wiring diagram and IPB. The wiring diagram did not show any 14 wire connection that I saw. The IPB and service manual do not show where the connection goes to either. I'm guessing if this was taped up it wasn't plugged into anything when you found it??

Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Could it be related to the FI system? Perhaps to save money Kawi uses one wiring harness and on carbureted bikes the FI wiring is capped off. I'll have to look and see if I have that harness anywhere on my '09 Cal. model.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sanpedro
Could it be related to the FI system? Perhaps to save money Kawi uses one wiring harness and on carbureted bikes the FI wiring is capped off. I'll have to look and see if I have that harness anywhere on my '09 Cal. model.
I tried to plug the turbo in there, but it was a no-fit .

Now the FI could make some sense. Looking forward to hear what you find.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The "one harness" for several models idea makes sense. See if you can find wiring diagrams for other bikes of that model year. Unwrap a bit of the tape so you can see the color coding of the wires. Are any of the wires jumpered to other wires under that cover? That bit of harness could be cut back to just be a stub with the wires taped over (with maybe a dab of silicone on each wire before taping), which would give you quite a bit more room where you want it.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 01-21-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

The harness on the 06-07 bikes cannot accomodate FI, I can testify that.

Could it be the diode assembly we see on this diagram here?

At least this is what I assumed earlier when working on my bike.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDER good call on the forum post. Ray, there are 14 wires going to that plug, looks like the component you are looking at only has 6.
I looked it up in my supplement manual. They simply label it a "joint connector" That's a lot of wire and plug up there taking up valuable space. I think it is a diagnostic connection. the plug looks like it has a movable cover that is built to slide back and open when plugged in. ??
I think I will pull my tank and trace it back a ways. Maybe I can run the wires backwards and tuck them and the plug somewhere back by the airbox? I may do something similar with the pigtail for the stock gauges, since the vapor doesn't use any of those wires. I guess if I pull the tank it will give me a chance to yank the carb and drill the idle jet and install the kouba screw.
Dan

Mine minus the tape.

Name:  IMG_8280.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8278.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  86.3 KB

Old 01-22-2011, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Interesting. I don't have that on my 06.

Its nothing to do with the diode block.
The diode block is for the side stand switch, clutch switch and neutral switch and determines when the bike can be started and when to kill the engine.

I reckon its as Dan says a diagnostic thing but it seems a bit OTT for a non FI bike.

Quick Reply: What's this wire all about?