What protection do you wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What protection do you wear

I'm currently looking into buying some new boots.
After a couple of years riding in my current ones and after a crash or two I think it's time to upgrade to a better pair.

I do like the look of a full on motocross boot like the alpinestars tech series but not sure if they would be right as a daily commute as well as a weekend ride ( all road ). What are your experiences.

Also out of curiosity what protection do you guys wear overall?

This is what I currently wear.

Helmet - One Industries kombat
Goggles - Oakey Skull Rushmore green
Jacket - Alpinestars t dyno
Gloves - Alpinestars SP2
Boots - Alpinestars smx 5

Yes I do favour Alpinestars to over brands
Thanks

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 02-07-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Just toodling around town or my home area where I'm basically staying on pavement and just using the bike for transportation, I use a comfortable hiking style boot, long pants, long sleeve shirt, dirt bike gloves, and a the same full coverage dual sport helmet I wear off road. If it's cooler, I wear my enduro jacket that has some elbow and other protection. I've been hit by cars three times in over 40 years of riding, and it's darned painful to be sliding on pavement with a bunch of bare, exposed skin. It's amazing what even a decent long sleeve shirt will do for your hide...not to mention the dirt bike gloves. I'm not "armored up" for the street, but it ain't shorts and flip-flops either.

Now, off road it's a whole other situation. I wear the same full coverage dual sport helmet, MX jersey, full upper body armor with attached elbow/forearm guards, MX pants with hip pads and full knee/shin guards, and finally full height off road riding boots. The problem with the shorty or ATV height boots is that the lower you go from the knee, your knee/shin guards may leave an exposed section of leg which is often a great target for the bike to smash in even an easy get-off. Depending on the rider's height and knee/shin guard length, that's a tender spot to get hit. It's the motorcycle that usually impacts this part of the leg in even a small crash. Nothing protects like the full-on MX style boots. There's a reason they're so tall.

I've learned all these issues through painful experience, and it didn't take but once or twice to realize how important some of these protections are. I don't look like the Michelin man when I'm putting around on pavement, but I just about do look like him when I'm off road.

Attached Thumbnails What protection do you wear-0815131130.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, it depends on the application really...commuting and walking around campus all day MX boots (o neals) got old quick..

COMMUTING
-I wear a Wilson's leather motorcycle jacket (clean simple not a cruiser style)
-alpinestar mesh gloves (comfy and cool, but really won't hold up in a crash)
-jeans (I know)
-scorpion spike helmet (blue of course!) with goggles
-a pair of cycle gear crappy (they work) ankle high motorcycle boots, comfy to walk in and great ankle support

When I do crazy stuff I wear mx boots, speed and strength lock n load gauntlets, and EVS G6 Ballistics jersey.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 02-07-2014, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't do much trail, mostly gravel/dirt roads. I'm a doctor and I've seen some pretty nasty things but could never convince myself to stop riding (yet). So I ride with protection. I got the Icon variant helmet, i ride with a Leatt brace most of the time with the Leatt pro jacket, I wear some Alpinestars gloves, the Klim Overland pants and the Alpinestars Scout boots. Those boots have a great look and are motocross boots length without the space boots look.

Last edited by sebnad; 02-07-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Commuting

Acerbis Active Dual Sport helmet
Alpinestars Viper Air Jacket
Jeans
Alpinestars Scheme gloves
TCX X-Move WP boots

Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Not a single Trojan reference?!?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmmbeefy
Not a single Trojan reference?!?
I prefer generic brand condoms tyvm

Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Sidi discovery boots
Darken pants and jacket
Afx Ds helmet
Held gloves
Forcefield chest and back protectors

Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

On commuting or light-duty off-road (which means I'm probably on my DR650 or V-Strom), I tend to wear any number of armored jackets, either kevlar-lined jeans or armored pants, and either my Sedici street boots or Sidi Adventure boots.

For real off-road on the KLX, I wear a FOX Titan "pressure suit" -- it's like a chest protector on steroids. Pants are Klim (forget which model), with EVS Vision knee braces and Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS boots.

Basically, spend as much as you can possibly afford on your gear. It's well worth it. The Titan jacket has saved me several times from what could have been very bad injuries. The boots saved me from a broken foot/ankle just recently. The boots are a big one. They have to fit VERY well and have lots of protection. I bent WAY over to get the boots, because the damn things are nearly $600. They were a Christmas present to myself.

Rob

Quick Reply: What protection do you wear