What I/you did today on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Had to undo some more previous owner issues... found the throttle tube was broken in two pieces.

The stock tube still had a lip on the outside end even though handguards were installed. The lip fit in a groove created by the internal handlebar fitting being installed about 1/8 short of fully inserted.

The bars are aftermarket Renthal... I pulled the pods to replace the throttle tube and found that the nubs that fit in the holes on the stock bars were still there, just crushed down a little by torquing the mounting screws.

I ground out the nubs and reassembled with new Motion Pro throttle tube and a bit of duct tape wrapped around the bar to make sure everything was solid.

I finished up with a new set of grips and she is good as new

Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by peabrain
cleaned my forks and gave it some sticky oil to pretect it from the salt.
I suspect dirt is harder on your forks that salt. I would recommend stickyless silicone on the forks, unless you are entirely on the road.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

right now i am 100% road, and plan to get some specific oil for for protection soon.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Got my first ticket in 32 years on the klx this morning. Made a right turn from the left turn lane to skip a line of cages, popped a wheelie through the intersection, with no signal, in front of a cop. DOH! This bike makes me do stupid. It's like riding my mountain bike almost. I gotta put that wheelset with d606s to good use somewhere cops are not, like up in the hills. Anyhow, he let me off with an improper turn ticket when he certainly saw me wheelie and could have given me a reckless citation. I told a coworker I should stop riding like a teenager, act my age, and get a Goldwing.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad I can't see myself being a hooligan in traffic - what's worse is that I never wear a helmet.. I know everyone is laughing at the old grey hair'd guy acting like a teenage idiot .. My KLX makes me do stupid too..

Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 AM

Pulled off plastics to do a first inspection after purchase.looking for chaffed wires etc..
Not to bad
Pulled throttle body to clean...bit mucky ! Maybe this is the reason for my hard starts.....we'll see.

Checked ecu fault codes... all good ...I think
Anybody know how to clear the codes?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Found my other DJ main jets. I bought a 136, 140, and 144. Went straight to the 140 at 2N and like it but I think tomorrow the 144 is going in. A good rainy day job.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

You be nuts snappster.. Certainly better reset to 1N on the needle.. Yur DJ144 AFR curve should "top out" (leanest point) @ approx 12.5:1.. Good luck..

Old 03-25-2017, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Installed zeta high speed throttle tube.

Changed my rear indicators to more visible led ones with more light.

Lubed and adjusted my chain.

Made a small shopping list for parts that needs replacing (the bike deserves it)

Trying to find eu dealer for the longer motion pro clutch cable.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Installed some tusk d-flex handlebar protection, however and i'll create its own thread with pics, i somewhat struggled. I'm interested to see how others have them installed. Couldn't get them installed on the standard OEM bars, so bought some tusk aluminum bars and its all very tight.. Cut down the tusk bars to 29 1/2" from the 31 1/2" that they came in... Otherwise cables would be have stretched too much. But even with the same length, i couldn't get the clamps all the way in to the bar ends, and have nearly an inch either side sticking out.. Which isn't a problem in itself.. However i do have the DOT3 reservoir connection pressed up against the aluminum d-tusk protection, which isn't ideal, as if i go down i risk breaking the reservoir.

Anyway all probably better explained in its own thread with pics...

Quick Reply: What I/you did today on the bike