What I/you did today on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I just put mine back together after repacking the steering stem bearings. The manuf. didn't put a whole lot of grease in there. I cleaned everything up & repacked with Mobil One syn grease.

Steering is much smoother. I applied some silicone spray to the wires & cables so they don't make as much noise as they are stretched when the handlebars are turned.

I also installed a new FSW header pipe which I had ceramic coated at Embee in Santa Ana. Turned out real nice and the coating is designed to dissipate heat quickly. The interior is coated with a copper material. I'm very pleased with the results. The stock heat shield does not look good on this pipe so I'll be making something cool to replace it.

Attached Thumbnails What I/you did today on the bike-pipe1.jpg   What I/you did today on the bike-pipe2.jpg   What I/you did today on the bike-pipe3.jpg   What I/you did today on the bike-pipe4.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like that FSW header is carrying the same I.D. as the FMF all the way to the exhaust port..? If so, that's going to change the fueling needs - especially near sea level in OC..

Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tire is mounted

Originally Posted by Klxster
Looks like that FSW header is carrying the same I.D. as the FMF all the way to the exhaust port..? If so, that's going to change the fueling needs - especially near sea level in OC..
Your bike klxter? Larger diameter does not nessesarily mean more flow, if the smaller diameter has a natural frequency in the rpm range of interest. Read about Helmholtz resonators and pipe tuning. Interesting stuff even if the math gets thick.

So I sealed each nipple with LIquid Nails sealer. I then decided to stretch the rubber rim strip over it then the bright idea I got was to use the flex seal to seal the edges of the rim tape to the rim. Did that and mounted the tire with much sweat and grunting of the bad kind. I think my next tire will go faster and easier. Time will tell if it holds air. Stan's notubes sealer will hopefully make sure of that. One hour leakdown test and I will get er rollin again.

Attached Thumbnails What I/you did today on the bike-image.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes Helmholtz resonators are an interesting subject but don't apply to our KLX's in any way. We are stuck with the basics of high velocity stock headers or lower velocity/larger aftermarket headers and the usual effects that each has on TRQ production..

Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Not so fast ?

..a Helmholz resonance chamber can also help the "Kadenacy Effect" in a specific RPM range of the engine.

The Kadenacy effect is an effect that forms from pressure-waves in gases. In essence, careful design of the dimensions and position of the exhaust changer can assist scavenging of exhaust gases out of the cylinders and therefore increase the pressure drop across the intake and exhaust valve area within a specific RPM range. As such it could be used to increase engine performance in the engines' most used RPM range.

Red Bull adopts Helmholtz exhaust chamber - F1technical.net

Aren't the Akropovic etc pipes adding a little canister to some headers?

Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
Not so fast ?

..a Helmholz resonance chamber can also help the "Kadenacy Effect" in a specific RPM range of the engine.

The Kadenacy effect is an effect that forms from pressure-waves in gases. In essence, careful design of the dimensions and position of the exhaust changer can assist scavenging of exhaust gases out of the cylinders and therefore increase the pressure drop across the intake and exhaust valve area within a specific RPM range. As such it could be used to increase engine performance in the engines' most used RPM range.

Red Bull adopts Helmholtz exhaust chamber - F1technical.net

Aren't the Akropovic etc pipes adding a little canister to some headers?
Ahhhh. Someone understood the pipe tuning comment I made. The best solution for intake and exhaust pipe would be to variable lengths in both. There have been experimental vehicles where this has been used on the intake but I am unawares of any on the exhaust. Cost prevents mass production so far. The boost in pumping efficiency is significant when the pressure wave returns to the valve when it is open, so a power improvement happens. This is why airbox design on high performance engines is important. A thumper is not excluded. There is power to be had from careful thought on our little bikes' pipe geometry.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys.. Starting up another Helmholtz/Kadenacy discussion.. Both are easily understood and examples abound - expansion chambers on 2-smokes(Kadenacy), resonator chambers on headers, auto mufflers, et.al. - but there is no data that either is employed in the design of any component on our KLX's..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-26-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

After this trail my turn signal disappeared, so new signals were ordered

Attached Thumbnails What I/you did today on the bike-0523151337.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
You guys.. Starting up another Helmholtz/Kadenacy discussion.. Both are easily understood and examples abound - expansion chambers on 2-smokes(Kadenacy), resonator chambers on headers, auto mufflers, et.al. - but there is no data that either is employed in the design of any component on our KLX's..
Correct, from the factory there is not.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't read everything, but FWIW, I found it interesting that FMF did the power bomb set up which is a mini-expansion chamber on the bike as is a reverse cone megaphone, a seldom used set up on off roaders these days, but common on the MotoGP pipes. All are apparently dealing with exhaust wave acoustics to work flow. How, I don't know. I knew and understood more about two stroke chambers, courtesy of Gordon Jennings' Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook, back in the 80s, but never really followed up with the 4 strokes.

Unfortunately there is no 4 stroke "Gordon Jennings" on the horizon...

Last edited by klx678; 05-27-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: What I/you did today on the bike